7mm WSM Seems to becoming obsolete ?

Winchester's new 6.8 Western looks to be a GREAT long range round
Why? It is a shortened 270 WSM with heavier bullets🤨🤨

Seriously, in a custom, I'd make a sample with my long bullet of choice seated just under mag length and with the base of the bearing surface aligned to the base of the neck. Confirm the oal is under mag length and tell my smith to chamber with a 270 WSM chamber that just touches the lands. Put that in an 8 twist!

The biggest issue with the WSM'S is no Lapua or Peterson brass. Norma brass is all but unavailable and doesn't get great reviews. Winchester needs pretty aggressive turning to true up.

...with all the problems facing the reloading world these days I wonder how many of these cartridges introduced over the last 20 years will survive, my guess is not many...finding brass, primers, powders and bullets is still difficult in a good portion of the country, finding wsm, saum, nosler, and even some standards is almost impossible it seems...I have a friend who won a 6.5x300wea, at a RMEF banquet last winter and has still not found a single round, unbelievable!

...with all the problems facing the reloading world these days I wonder how many of these cartridges introduced over the last 20 years will survive, my guess is not many...finding brass, primers, powders and bullets is still difficult in a good portion of the country, finding wsm, saum, nosler, and even some standards is almost impossible it seems...I have a friend who won a 6.5x300wea, at a RMEF banquet last winter and has still not found a single round, unbelievable!
38 listings for 6.5X300Wby ammo on GB. ln the above listing this guy has 521 boxes of the 156gr. l have bought from him off Gunroken

Will be sad if it goes away but don't think it will anytime soon. A slightly long 7 wsm hand load is tough to beat. I know the SAUM has gained a lot of popularity but I personally don't think the performance reaches the wsm (it's close though). Been very happy with mine.

Interesting how three years after this thread was started things have changed. I've really come to love my Jon Beanland 7 WSM. I picked up Bertram brass and have been very pleased with it's performance, it seems to be readily available.
7mm 150  Fusion.jpg
As was mentioned Federal Fusion ammo is very accurate in the 7 WSM. After three years I'm glad to see all the positive responses to the caliber. My rifle has harvested two bulls one 785 yards and one 545 yards. and a mule deer at 485 yards. I agree that while calibers come and go I do believe the great performance of the 7 WSM will keep it around.

I may have to try some of the Bertram. Got probably enough Hornady & Winchester, but would like to try a "better" brass. It shoots consistently in the .3s' with Berger 180gr VLD hunting.

I have been wanting to have a 7mm put together and really think it would be hard to beat a wsm other than a 7 ss but not sure if I am ready for a wildcat

I have been wanting to have a 7mm put together and really think it would be hard to beat a wsm other than a 7 ss but not sure if I am ready for a wildcat
FWIW I've had really good luck finding factory wsm ammo too which is nice to have that as a backup.

Ya that's a plus I will talk to the gunsmith that I want to do it and make sure he doesn't have other recommendations but I will probably start gathering components

If you like the short actions, the 7 WSM is hard to beat, If you like long actions The 280 AI is hard to beat. Both will produce 7 Mag performance.

With all of the designer cartridges being the latest craze there are lots of great cartridges that are not popular at the moment. Of all the WSMs the 7mm is the top performer with the 270 WSM not far behind.

I have built and worked on all of the WSMs and the only downside that I have found is poor quality factory barrels and feeding issues. This can be easily solved with a center feed mag box and a premium quality barrel If the factory one is no good.

Like most of the short magnums, accuracy comes easy if you reload. I sometimes use the Winchester silver tip if I buy ammo and it is very accurate for Factory ammo.

People that have the 7 WSM and the 270 wsm know the value of these cartridges and don't get caught up in all the hype. A good cartridge, will always be a good cartridge no matter what the trend is.

J E CUSTOM
Wsm cartridges are my favorites 300wsm is my favorite since I can shoot it more no problem finding ammo for it the 270wsm is harder but plenty copper impact rounds out there mine shoots it good and Silvertip can still be found but the 7mm I can't find anything for but over priced stuff on gunbroker and custom ammo makers so the 7wsm got me into reloading this past year the 168gr bergers are a missle out of it

I picked up a Model 70 7WSM when they first came out (2004, 2005?) and have loved the rifle ever since. I wish it had become more "main stream" and wonder how it would be received these days if it was a "new" cartridge along side the PRCs, Creedmoors, Blackout, etc.
Accuracy is amazing with this round and can shoot anything from a 140 Accubond to a 168 VLD or ABLR with great results. If you're a reloader, there's no real reason not to dive into one if it meets the ballistics you're wanting to achieve. I have a ton of brass I've saved up over the years for this rifle but there are still factory loaded ammo options out there and a decent supply of used brass on forums, ebay, etc.
I was able to get a 270wsm and 7mmwsm in model70s from an estate sale basically for half price and both look like they where only shot a couple times but the 7wsm loves those 168gr vld ready to see how the do on game since 185 bergers drop em in my 300wsm

For the reloader many cartridges will equal...... and some out perform the 7mm mag.For average joe hunter non reloader..... you can go all over the world and buy 7mag ammo..... Not so with the exotics...

Recent Posts