7mm wsm load recommendations

Bergers were inconsistent for us on deer at close and long range, which made up my mind on even attempting to use them on elk...The 7mm 168s blew up, the 180s pinholed, the 30 cal 210s blew up, Neither are what you want for elk...Not even risking it. Weve killed around 200 elk in 20 years with 30 cal 180g NBTs, 30 cal 200g Accubonds with 300 win mag and 300 RUMs, 7mm 160g Accubonds, 7mm 162g Amaxs/ELDMs/ELDXs from 7 Rem mag, 7-300 win mag, 7 RUM, and .338 300g SMKs from 338 EDGE from 50 yards to 1125, and the majority being from 300-800 yards with a much better consistent terminal performance rate than any Bergers. Bergers are 2 thumbs down in our camp...And since I reload and set up everyone's rifles, I kinda have a say so as to what's being loaded and used :) If you like Bergers then by all means use them. I'll take a 200 count sample seen with my own eyes over anything anyone else says.

Last edited:
I drew a bull tag in Oregon this fall and will be using my 7mm wsm. It is a factory Winchester model 70 with 1:9.5 twist barrel. I would expect shots between 200-600 yards or so. I'm currently looking at these three bullets:
160 Accubonds
168 Berger vld
162 eldx

I'm thinking I can play with some factory loads for each and see which it likes best then load up some by hand to fine tune. Assuming equal accuracy (not likely) which would be your preference to start? Any others you would look at? Thanks for the feedback
If you can find it hsm 168 vld loads are great out to 700 yes from my elk kills so far

Just curious on the loads you guys are using for your 7wsm. Hornady and Nosler reloading manuals don't list reloder 26, but they do others with velocities up to 3065. However the Alliant RL26 site shows you can reach 3171 with 162gr Atips. Are people actually seen that kind of velocity?

Just curious on the loads you guys are using for your 7wsm. Hornady and Nosler reloading manuals don't list reloder 26, but they do others with velocities up to 3065. However the Alliant RL26 site shows you can reach 3171 with 162gr Atips. Are people actually seen that kind of velocity?
actually i see faster speeds (just above 3200) with the 162 eldm and rl26 in my rifle--my rifle seems to be fast as Im still 1.5 grains or so below the alliant data --its going to depend on your chamber and brass too as I cant hit their max without seeing pressure signs

and the alliant data is for a-max --not a-tips, you'd need to get a-tip data from hornaday as they are so new

actually i see faster speeds (just above 3200) with the 162 eldm and rl26 in my rifle--my rifle seems to be fast as Im still 1.5 grains or so below the alliant data --its going to depend on your chamber and brass too as I cant hit their max without seeing pressure signs

and the alliant data is for a-max --not a-tips, you'd need to get a-tip data from hornaday as they are so new
Are you getting that velocity with a 24, 25 or 26 inch barrel? I just got my Hart # 3 Barrel back from being fluted by Kampfeld Custom for a 7 mm WSM. What's a 1 in 9 twist that I was planning on having finished at 25 in. Unfortunately I have two other builds in process we'll have to get some more money before I do the 7 mm WSM.

Last edited:
24-- its a win 70 but I'm loading longer than the 2.860 saami max iirc --its bertram brass, which is thicker than some others (I suspect this is why I cant use max loads without pressure signs)-- I hit 3100 with the 162sst and 2900 with the 168 berger vld --I tried a few 143 hh with rl23, but didnt get speed data (had an issue with my LR)

Easier to get to shoot and they open up better/easier at LR as the impact velocity has slowed down. You dont want or need a tough bullet past 600 yards or so, you want something that will open up easy if no bone is hit. A tough bullet will just zip right through, leaving very little internal damage and hardly a blood trail. The 162 AMAX went all the way through on my bull at 1125, and the lungs were jelly.

They definitely open up faster than the eldx. The eldx would be a better bullet inside 600 yards as it is tougher and holds together better if bone is hit, the amax/eldm are better beyond that where velocity has slowed down. The BC difference is negligible between the 2...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.