7mm wsm load recommendations

njc89

I drew a bull tag in Oregon this fall and will be using my 7mm wsm. It is a factory Winchester model 70 with 1:9.5 twist barrel. I would expect shots between 200-600 yards or so. I'm currently looking at these three bullets:
160 Accubonds
168 Berger vld
162 eldx

I'm thinking I can play with some factory loads for each and see which it likes best then load up some by hand to fine tune. Assuming equal accuracy (not likely) which would be your preference to start? Any others you would look at? Thanks for the feedback

160 Accubonds have been working great on elk for my group for a few years now. They crunch bones and expand well. Out to 600 it's one of my favorite picks in any 7mm.

I would load a few 160g AB for the short work out to 200 yards if you have the time, the difference in POI will be negligent. For the longer stuff I would do the 162 ELDM. Bergers would be my last choice for an elk bullet. My longest bull elk kill was at 1125 with a 7 RM and 162g AMAX. I keep a few 160g Partitions for my 7-300 when I'm in the timber, but other than that, its loaded with 162g AMAXs for the LR work, and will now be replaced with the 180g ELDMs. I'm also in Oregon. What unit did you draw?

Last edited:
All 3 of those bullet's are winners. 160 AB might give you best results in a short action with your twist. It's the shortest of the 3, might help with case space. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of those, just shoot what your rifle likes best.

Oh ya. I grew up in WW. Very familiar with that whole area. We hunt the WW, Weneha and Mt Emily with very good success. Our camp has routinely taken 8-12 spikes every year for the last 20 years there. Not bad for public ground huh?

Last edited:
160 Accubonds have been working great on elk for my group for a few years now. They crunch bones and expand well. Out to 600 it's one of my favorite picks in any 7mm.

Boom done....not get to the gym:)

Get in shape... I don't know why people hate bergers for elk. Killed 2 deader then crap last year and 9 other animals with zero lost. High shoulder and they don't go anywhere and their insides are jello. But 160 accubonds are great too for close to mid range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts