7mm WSM Dies

greener280

I am considering purchasing a new set of dies for my 7 short. I want either RCBS competition gold dies or Redding competition dies. Does anyone have experience with these two brands of competition seating and neck sizing dies? Any bit of input would help me out.

No question to me, the Reddings are the better die. I have a Redding 7WSM competition seater and it does a great job. I also have a few others of theirs including S-dies and body dies and have nothing but good to say.

I like Dirtball's setup.
I think Forrester makes a great seater die, but I also like Redding Type S sizing dies.

Howdy,
You are getting really good advice from these experts. Heed it well. The Redding bushing dies are like the Cadillac of the industry, while the RCBS are like a Ford Pickup.
If you must use RCBS, add an "O" ring between the die body and the nut holding the de-capping stem. That lets the stem "float" so the brass can find it's natural center. I personally have replaced the de-capping stem setups in my RCBS dies with a product sold by Hornady. It includes the stem, a de-capping pin, a floating carbide expander button, and a tear-drop shaped expander button (really good for necking brass up or down.)
Another alternative for you is the Forster seating die (as well as the seater die). I've found them to be much better than the RCBS (engineering wise) but still not quite up to the Redding (manufacturing wise). My personal 7WSM set up switched over from RCBS to Forster several years ago. My groups shrank, and I've been very happy with the set up. I should mention that I use a Redding body die with the Forster set. It seems to work together well.
Whatever you do, have fun and shoot straight.

Coach

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts