7mm wsm berger 168 or 180 and load data

bubba36x

Well like the title states I just finished a 7mm wsm build. It's a short action rem700 with the m5 dbm system with accurate mags. I think my max oal is 2.990 if I remover correctly. The barrel is a 27 inch and 1/8.4 twist.

Now here's my questions am I going to have enough room to fit the berger 180 vld hunting bullets. There long bullets and don't want to much case capacity to be taken up. Should I just shoot the 168 vld or classic hunter? I would like to see 3000fps out of the 180gr or 3150 out of the 168 class of bullets.

Now my next question is what powder I'm really thinking going the path away from h1000 I'd like to try retumbo. But it will come down to what one I can find first with how hard powder is to find. I might even try 7828ssc

I would like for some pet loads or loads you guys are using with these bullets And powders. Any help on load data and velocity would be great this is my first 7mm wsm so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You had better buy a bunch of brass pushing those speeds... Pressures. It won't last long! I did that for about a month after I built my 7wsm. I am now on my 6th loading of 150 brass and very satisfied with my speeds.

Thanks for the response, from everyone I've been talking to 4831 is a bit lacking on the velocity side. That's why I want the slower powders less pressure and get the extra velocity. The 168 ill be happy with anything over 3000 with good pesure. I've got 300 brass ready to be loaded so I'm not too worried about brass on this one.

Im shooting 168gr Berger VLD with 68gr of H1000. 3120fps through a 29" Hart barrel and Stiller action. Bullets touching at 100 yrds and I can hit steel at 1000yrds all day. No pressure signs on my brass. Seating Bullets .040 off the lands. Its frustrating finding 7mm wsm loads. I Its an awesome cartridge though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts