7mm wsm barrel length

jabey9210

I am building a 7mm wsm on a savage long action and was curious about the optimum barrel length. Was thinking about going 27" just to be a little different. The gun will mainly be used for bench shooting but may occasionally take it hunting as well. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks I appreciate it. I will probably be shooting 168 bergers most likely but maybe 180's haven't decided yet probably do both and see which shoots better. Just can't find alot about barrel length for the 7mm wsm not sure if I want a 1-8 or 1-9 twist though.

They claim a 9 twist is plenty fast for the 180's coming out of the larger 7's but I've got a shillen 8 twist 30" on my 7 stw shooting 180 smk's and it will shoot around half inch groups at 250 yds as will my wsm shooting 180 jlk's with a 8.6 twist. I think you'd be fine with in between a 8-9 twist just my opinion though.

Nathan

thanks for your info maybe I'll go with a 8 1/2 inch or the like in twist just to be safe. I'll be goin with a shillen barrel also so what ever there mid 8 twist is that's what I'll do. I'd be happy gettin 2900 fps out of 180's so hopefully the 27 inch tube will be long enough I haven't really researched load data or anything for the wsm I am just choosing that calliber because it's a 7mm for one and no one that i know has a short mag they are all 7mm rem mag or rum shooters although i have a buddy that is getting rem mag performance out of his .280 with the 168's with no pressure signs and still holds 1/2 moa so we'll see what the short mag brings me. Now they are leaving me behind though as their current builds are stepping up to the .338 rum's. But I really don't have interest in the big cannon's yet so we'll see.

I just re-barreled my Mod 70 Classic with a 26" Brux bbl 9"twist. I first started shooting some Sierra 160gr GK out of it. 70grs of Re#25 was producing a whopping 3200 fps. 168gra Bergers 3125 fps. I'm getting awesome performance with 69grs of Re#19 behind Hornady 139gr SST MV 3300 FPS and under 1/4 MOA......... BTW I'll part with the Berger 168gr bullets if your interested ? I have 81 left 4 of which were pulled and have pliers marks on them . I didn't like the load.

Here's a pretty good article on a couple different 7's the wsm, saum, .284 win and 7-08. It's got a good section on the 7 wsm about 2/3 rds way down the page. 7mm Cartridge Guide

I found it interesting,
Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.