7MM wildcats?

I may have missed the suggestion somewhere along the line, but what about necking down the 338 Norma Mag?

Chris

That has not come up yet. It is an awesome idea though. I wonder if my bolt could be opened all of the way up to .590", and if the cases would feed being so fat and all. I would assume that the frame rails (for lack of a better term) could be opened up a little to let the pudgy buggers slide through.

Wasn't sure if you were starting from scratch or with a mag face. I had a 6.5 A.I. and it was a great rifle but my new case is as much better than an A.I. as an A.I. is over a std....Rich:D

Well, I would be rebarreling a .338 Win Mag. Mag box is only 3.440" or so.

Whatcha got cooking? It sounds intriguing.

cornstalker,

There is a guy named Chris Matthews in the Kansa City area that runs LongShot Rifles. He has been working with this round(7mm on a 338 Norma) calls it the 7mm Holy Grail. If you get serious about going that route you might want to give him a call. You can google LongShot Rifles for his contact info.

Chris

cornstalker,

There is a guy named Chris Matthews in the Kansa City area that runs LongShot Rifles. He has been working with this round(7mm on a 338 Norma) calls it the 7mm Holy Grail. If you get serious about going that route you might want to give him a call. You can google LongShot Rifles for his contact info.

Chris

Got it. I see the 7mm Grail on his reamer list, and will be contacting him for more info. Thank you!

Looks like an A.I. only holds about 5% more powder (see 25-06 vs 25-06 A.I. posts)

I'll check it out. I don't have a long action with a .473 bolt face right now though. Just the .532 bolt face and two short actions with .473's. One is a .308 and one is a 6mm284.

Sounds really cool though.

There is a 7mm wildcat that I designed called the 284 STAK that is based on the 300 or 330 Dakota case. It is an IMP 40* with reduced body taper. 3200 plus with 180 Bergers. Works very well but still involves a fair amount of work and $ to do.

My own 7mm wildcat is called the 7mm RHB and is a shortened RUM case ( 2.555 ) that I designed in 1999 when the RUM brass first became available . It has a 35* shoulder and less taper in the body also. It holds about 3 gr more powder than the 284 STAC and the performance level is about the same. This version is very difficult and expensive to pull off !!!This one is not for the faint of heart!! (or thin wallet) There are pictures and a bit of write up on LRH, probably on one of Goodgroupers threads so you could do a search .

The 7mm Dakota is perfect for what you stated you are looking for!! Listen to Ernie, he knows what he's talking about!! --- RHB
Go to you tube tannerite 1000 yard to see the 7mm RHB preform you'll want one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.