7mm wildcat

Haven't used Norma brass but RWS brass is available at Hunington's. Brass very hard to get when I first started this project. Finally found a source in Canada.

Have been playing with a 7mm wildcat made on an 8x68s case. Finally got the cartridge design about right(after a couple reamers) and it seems just about right for me. I am shooting 78 gr. RL 33 in front of 180 Berger hybrid, 215 federal primer. Shot 2 5 shot groups yesterday both in the .2s and the velocity averaged 3110. It probably isn't worth the time and money I have put into it but has been fun just the same. I like the RWS brass too. Many good 7s out there and here is another.

Hello Mustang

Some time ago you and I exchanged many emails back and forth on this cartridge; this might spark your memory; I have a 300 Tooley which is likely a very similar design as your 7-8x68s and it shoots well also but have always felt the 7 on this case would be the cat's meow. With that said; how is this cartirdge working out for you now that you have even more time with this project; how many rounds down the tube? have you tried VN570?

I am interested in getting a 7mm going

Still like the cartridge.Have about 500 rounds through it. Haven't tried VN 570. I'm still shooting RL33. It is hard to leave something that is shooting this well. I do remember our exchanges and the offer still stands.

That 7x68 Schüler Improved wildcat (that Varberger posted a link to a picture of on page 1) looks to be VERY similar to the .28 Nosler. I would be curious to know the H2O capacity of that wildcat, compared to the .28 Nosler's 93.8 grains of H2O capacity.

I love wildcats and wildcatting, but at the same time, you also have to find something original, because if you find something that is VERY similar to another production cartridge, you might as well get the production cartridge and either run it as-is, or build an improved chambered reamer for it, and and make your own wildcat from the SAAMI parent case that it already very similar.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5x68 Imp and it's within a grain of capacity of my 6.5-300wm's. It is non belted and RWS brass so that is a bonus. Mine shoots 140's 3300fps.

Yeah, I know the base width of the original 8x68 Schuler case is pretty much right in between the 7mm STW and .300 Weatherby, but without a belt, and is not quite as wide as the .404 Jeffery based RUM/Nosler cartridges.

Last edited:
The base of the 7STW and 300 Weatherby are the same. They are both belted magnums. The 8x68 is just under belt size .525 at the base of the case and the case head size is .511 instead of .532 for a belted magnum. Belted magnums are .513 ahead of the belt.

The base of the 7STW and 300 Weatherby are the same. They are both belted magnums. The 8x68 is just under belt size .525 at the base of the case and the case head size is .511 instead of .532 for a belted magnum. Belted magnums are .513 ahead of the belt.
I though that too, and everything I can find now shows the same, but while using my wildcat software that has a catalog of SAAMI spec drawings, it shows the .300 Wby (or maybe another cartridge that uses the .300 H&H as a parent case) with a slightly larger diameter base, than other cartridges based on the H&H. I'll have to do some digging tomorrow to find out what it was showing.

8x68s is an fascinating cartridge. Anyone have a 7.62x68s ? Does it rerequire a magnum action?
No it doesn't require a magnum action, but since it's an odd (for the USA) medium case head due to dimension a gunsmith would have to open the bolt head slightly. Best would be to acquire an action for the caliber and then construct the wildcat of your choice. I would strongly recommend to reduce case taper and give it a modern shoulder of 30* (benchrest). Would be then most likely a 7,62×66, but with even more power and much easier on the shoulder. Never understood that RWS made no efforts of modernizing cartridges like the 6,5x68 or 8x68S.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.