7mm whetherby transform to ????

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, I believe I'm fixing to pick up a 7mm Whethrby Mag and was wondering if I could use it's action as a donator to a 300 or 338 of some sort? What could I use this action for? Thank's, Brad

Ok, The trade is made however, there was a misunderstanding and what I really got was a 7mm rem mag in a wetherby vangaurd. What calibers can this be turned into? Thank's, Brad

I'd say he did OK. You can pick the SPR94 up for about 450-550.00 on GB just about anytime. The vanguard runs about the same.

Earlier this year one of the local gun stores had them on sale for <$400 new to make room for the S2s ... never seen the SPR94 lower than your price quote. I supposed your right, I responded based on what I have on my inventory. Having said that, because it is discontinued, I'd still keep it. There are a whole more of the Vanguard/Howa 1500 series actions around than the SPR94 but that's just my opinion. :Dgun)

The vanguard is a good platform, all kinds of aftermarket support. The biggest issue is magazine length, with the factory 300wby mag/follower the max oal is 3.59", you can machine the receiver to fit a mag box from a model700 ultramag which will give you a 3.705" max oal. Timney makes a nice trigger for them, almost any rem700 la base will fit it as well, B&C-McMillan-Manners and a few others offer good stocks. The Howa 1500 is a strong action, it will handle the 338edge, if I were going to go 338 though i'd go 338rum to be able to use longer bullets without hendering powder space or the 338x375ruger but there isn't much difference. Personally i'd upgrade the trigger, the stock, have the lugs lapped, put some good glass on it and see what it'll do, the vanguards usually surprise you on how accurate they are. If a 168 berger at 3050fps isn't enough or accuracy isn't there, then have it rebarreled, trued, and the magwell opened up.

Ok, The trade is made however, there was a misunderstanding and what I really got was a 7mm rem mag in a wetherby vangaurd. What calibers can this be turned into? Thank's, Brad
I'd seriously consider selling it and if you want to stay with a Weatherby platform upgrade to an Accumark in something like 30/378, or 338/378.

You'd be ahead on both time and money.

I would really like a winchester style action mostly because I'm a fan of the 3 position safety. I would also like a detachable clip and not have change much to load the big 30 cal.s ( 300 wm or rum) or even move to a 338 edge. A co-worker got a 30-06 and wanted to get rid of the Weatherby and I didn't have any use for the Spartan I've had it for several years and other than the novelty really did not need or care for it. If I'm looking at changing cal, barrell, stock and trigger maybe, I can just trade the whole rifle for a nice action that already meets my desires.

I have to say that the weatherby is in like new condition. The co-worker is not a shooter and said that it didn't have 5 shots fired and by the looks of the bolt face I believe him( could absolutly eat off it.) I maybe would keep it however I already have a 25-06 for my long range deer rifle and would really rather move to one of the big mags for my step up. Brad

Hey fellas, If I did decide to stick with this action and forgo the 3 position safety and detachable clip What are some cals that I could switch to and not have a problem with to long of rounds for the magazine/? 7STW, 300WSM etc... any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank's, Brad

Hey fellas, If I did decide to stick with this action and forgo the 3 position safety and detachable clip What are some cals that I could switch to and not have a problem with to long of rounds for the magazine/? 7STW, 300WSM etc... any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank's, Brad

.257 weatherby ??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.