7mm weatherby

Possum284

according to the hornady reloading manual you can push 175's to 3100 and 160's to 3200 is this really do able and can you rechamber a 7mm rem mag to weatherby thanks

I do not know the answer to the chambering issue but I will tell you a few things about a 7Wby. It has freebore to ease the pressure curve. Several non-Weaterrby rifles have a lot of freebore on non-Weatherby cartridges and the most notorious of them is Ruger. There is room for a family of toad frogs to hide out for several years in there.

So if you go to a custom 7Wby chamber, it is important to decide on the freebore issue as it will affect velocity. Secondly, with a tighter custom chamber, if done properly, you can push the pressure higher before the case separates which is always an exciting event. I have probably separated 20-30 7Wby cases in my life.

With the slower burning powders available today you should be able to get 3200 fps with "soft" 160's but not the Accubond. The Accubond is a long bearing, surface hard to squeeze bullet and pressure will get bad in a hurry.

Those are my experiences and every rifle is slightly different so I do not particularly say my rifle was representative of what yours will do.

I regretted having it chambered that way. I should have gone to a 7-300Wby but I didn't know it existed until it won at Wimbledon or wherever it was.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.