7mm weatherby

Possum284

any opinions on this round. Will it be able to push some 180 bergers out at 3000+ in a 26 inch barrel or not really, cause I was either going to use 180's at 3000+ or I heard you can get A-Max's to 3200+ any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I have never tried the 180 Bergers perhaps you can get 3000 fps perhaps not. I do not think you can get 3200fps with the Amax.

Norma brass is soft and you will loose a lot at high pressures. When I spend a couple of thousand dollars to go hunting I do not worry about looseing some brass to high pressure.

I have just built a rifle for myself as you described. I had a model 70 chambered in 7 stw that needed to be rebarreled. I wanted to stay away from the stw and 7 rum because of oal issues with the 180 bergers. Pacific tool cut a reamer for me set up for the 180 bergers in 7 weatherby. I went with a 26" Broghten (spelling) 9 twist #7 contour. Using H1000 3100 fps is easy to reach. I hit 3180 with imr 7828 but had sighns of pressure. I finished the rifle the weekend before deer seoson so I did not do much load development. 72.5 gr of h1000 averages 3120 and .5 moa groups. I am satisfied with the velociety but will tighten up the accuracy with further load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.