7mm Weatherby: Why so little attention?

The reason the 7mm Weatherby lacks popularity is mainly 2 reasons.
Firstly, other than Weatherby, very few manufacturers chamber it, and, secondly the fact that only Weatherby make ammo for it.
Hornady, Remington and Federal have made ammo for the 7mm Wby over the years. I have some of each.

The fact that Weatherby narrowed down their 7mm Wby ammo choices in the last few years sure hasn't helped.
Thankfully I roll my own, so it's not a factor. However, the 160 Accubond load was my favorite, and now gone.

For most people over the last 60 years, spending the $ for a Weatherby rifle and Weatherby ammo was more than they wanted to pay. Add the arrival of the 7mm Remington, and the 7mm Weatherby became a "boutique" cartridge. I don't think that the 1-10 twist affected it over the years since for the general public, they really don't care.

I shoot or load for several 7mm Weatherby rifles and don't expect that will change anytime soon. It's a great cartridge but not for everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-213133_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220303-213133_Chrome.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20220303-213239_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220303-213239_Chrome.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 39
I'm well aware of that and have been for a long time. The measurement of .284 equals 7.2mm, the measurement of .277 equals 7.0mm. Get it?
Yes but it's irrelevant. Some cartridges measure from groove to groove diameter, some from lands to lands diameter, and some are just plain named funny. I've been aware that .277 is closer to true 7mm (25.3995 mm in an inch to be exact, not just 25) for about 2 decades, not gonna start detailing things when manufacturers call it what they do and we all know what they're talking about. And the 7mms land-to-land diameter is true 7mm, even if the .284" diameter technically, mathematically, isn't. That's also why the metric designation for .277 cartridges is 6.8mm. Bore diameter as determined by narrowest diameter (lands, not grooves or projectile diameter).

Not true. If work the brass correctly (neck sizing with occasional shoulder bump) - the primer pockets will give up first. In my case of 300 WBY it is around 6-8 reloads for WBY brass. I haven't reload for my WBY 7mm yet but factory ammo shoots .5 MOA easy. I'm the limiting factor...
its nice to know ones rifle is more capable in hinting conditions than the rifle itself. There's no use in hours and hours of practice if the gun is incapable of MOA under good conditions.

The drawback of a belted case? Is that the 30/06 and 308 don't have one!!! :)
I don't know....but the 300 win mag was the king of long range maybe that only changed since so many people are putting attention and effort into making other cartridges work. Ok, it is not a 6mm PPC but neither is a 6.5 Creedmore
and this is the first thing that popped up when I put "300 win mag v. 6.5 Creedmore".

A 6.5 Creedmoor with a 143 grain ELD-X bullet going 2700 fps reaches the minimum energy to kill a deer at just over 750 yards, it reaches the minimum energy to kill an elk at 400 yards. A 300 Win Mag firing a 210 Berger VLD hunting bullet at 2900 fps will have enough energy to kill a deer at past 1200 yards and an elk at just past 900 yards.

Nuff said.

Except, in the words of the Great Harry Callahan in " Magnum Force", " A Man's got to know his limitations."
(Unless he has a 300 Win Mag, then there are no limitations!) OK, I added that.

I think when it comes to the 7mm & 270 WBY cartridges, Weatherby doesn't really appear to give much support to those 2. You don't find either cartridge chambered in their Vanguard line, like you do with the 240, 257 & 300 WBY, and only a few Mark V rifles chambered in them. Grant it I believe their 300WBY is their flagship cartridge, which gets a lot of support from other ammunition companies as well, which helps a lot.