7mm Weatherby as an LR gun

GW Hunter

I've been using a 7mm Weatherby extensively for close to 35 years now for Western style deer hunting. It has been extremely efficient at ranges up to 350yards using 74 grains of IMR 7828 under a 150 Nosler Partition. My question is what's your opinion on extending the range of this gun out out to say 600 yards by getting the proper optics and different loads? Does anyone use this rifle in this application? Anyone have a load for it? Any reply is appreciated. GW

I've been using a 7mm Weatherby extensively for close to 35 years now for Western style deer hunting. It has been extremely efficient at ranges up to 350 yards using 74 grains of IMR 7828 under a 150 Nosler Partition. My question is what's your opinion on extending the range of this gun out out to say 600 yards by getting the proper optics and different loads? Does anyone use this rifle in this application? Anyone have a load for it? Any reply is appreciated. GW

I'd say nothing.. if your 150gr load is giving you 3300 fps our near to it; your there. With a 300 yard hunting zero, your about 43" inches low at 600 yards. With said, putting little more weight in the bullet can't hurt.. If you can take your rifle out with 300 yards zero and your load, hit an 18 inch gong at 600 yards, well that works; the bullet will still have approx 2083 vel's and 1450 fpe.. What might be more helpful is a scope reticle that you can compensate with; or an B/C that your scope is dialed for.

Just my .02
Cheer's

You are obviously familiar with the rifle. Practice, practice, practice out to 600. Shoot the barrel out. Re-barrel & go hunting. sounds like you have it figured out. Thanks, Kirk

GW, the best group I ever shot was with a Partition at 200 yards, but might try a heavier boat tail type bullet to get you to longer distances. The BC's are higher than the flat base Partition. Your ballistics are very close to the 7mm Rem and many have posted hitting 1000 with ease using several bullets. Did not mention what scope and mounts you have, but might warrant a look also. Good luck

Last edited:
GW, the bet group I ever shot was with a Partition at 200 yards, but might try a heavier boat tail type bullet to get you to longer distances. The BC's are higher than the flat base Partition. Your ballistics are very close to the 7mm Rem and many have posted hitting 1000 with ease using several bullets. Did not mention what scope and mounts you have, but might warrant a look also. Good luck
The rifle is topped with the original scope that it came with. A Leupold 3x9 with I believe Redfield rings. I'm thinking the scope is probably holding this rifle back more than anything...GW

Why not?

We have a few 7mm Wbys, and Dad has taken antelope at 500+ and 800+ yards with one of his. I would upgrade the scope and keep on shooting!

A Zeiss HD5 with target turrets would probably be on my short list.

GW, the bet group I ever shot was with a Partition at 200 yards, but might try a heavier boat tail type bullet to get you to longer distances. The BC's are higher than the flat base Partition. Your ballistics are very close to the 7mm Rem and many have posted hitting 1000 with ease using several bullets. Did not mention what scope and mounts you have, but might warrant a look also. Good luck

+1! 180 Berger (and the 195 when it finally comes out :rolleyes:) would be my choice.

+1! 180 Berger (and the 195 when it finally comes out :rolleyes:) would be my choice.

the 7roy in stock trim was a 10" twist at one time. If the O.P. has one of those barrels he'll do best to stay to 160gr or below... I had the same problem with my last 7stw barrel.... I am going with an 8" twist this time....
The o.p. may want to use his 7roy for shots to 600 yards or so with his current load, but build a fast twist barreled rifle up for heavier pills.

I've been using a 7mm Weatherby extensively for close to 35 years now for Western style deer hunting. It has been extremely efficient at ranges up to 350yards using 74 grains of IMR 7828 under a 150 Nosler Partition. My question is what's your opinion on extending the range of this gun out out to say 600 yards by getting the proper optics and different loads? Does anyone use this rifle in this application? Anyone have a load for it? Any reply is appreciated. GW
I love my Weatherby's! The 7mm B has been around for ever. It is more than capable for 600 to 800 yard shots! I would suggest changing things up for you, however. Shoot 175gr to 195gr bullets for longer distance. This will require you to change the twist of the barrel. Maybe a 1 in 8, 1 in 8.5, or 1 in 9? Since you have the brass and reloading gear, I say, switch the barrel to a #3 contour (Accumark), maybe even 27" and have at it!! Love the front focal riflescopes!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.