7mm weatherby and 168 berger

fisherman983

looking for preferred powders, and general info on this combo. I know that all rifles are different just looking for all the help and suggestions I can get

The case capacity of the 7 Weatherby is roughly 4 more grains than the 7 Rem mag. Hodgdon lists Retumbo as one of the highest velocity powders for the 7 Rem mag but fails to mention it for the Weatherby. Strange.

I suppose you could start with 7 Rem mag load data and work up. We got approx. 3100 fps with several 26" 7 Rem mags using Retumbo and the 168 Berger classic hunter. I would think you could get 3150 fps maybe more with the 7 Weatherby.

I would give IMR 7828 SSC a shot. It works great in my 7mm RemMag with 168 VLD's. I would start around 65gr (in the 7mm Wby) and work up to pressure signs. Since it holds more than the 7mm RemMag that's where I'd start.

fisherman983,
IMR 7828 SSC loads for your 7 Weatherby are
Starting load = 63.0 grains
Max load = 68.5 grains
Approximate velocities are 2807 to 3042 FPS
FILL RATIO is 93%, barrel length of test rifle was 26 inches , 1-10" twist rate MINIMUM required
Per Berger Manual
Hope this helps!

Same ole' same... It's cold as hades here, as well. It's dropping by the hour, they're calling for possible sleet and snow. Which is really unusual for Alabama...Especially this late in February.

How about that global warming? If you live on a crossroads or a hill get a comfy chair set up in front of the picture window with an adult beverage and watch! It could be more fun than a boat ramp! Ice down south usually results in comedy films on the news or youtube. This has been one crazy winter. Its getting to be a trend.

How about that global warming? If you live on a crossroads or a hill get a comfy chair set up in front of the picture window with an adult beverage and watch! It could be more fun than a boat ramp! Ice down south usually results in comedy films on the news or youtube. This has been one crazy winter. Its getting to be a trend.

I never believed any of those idiots anyway... Al Gore is one of the richest morons on the face of the earth. I do love how they renamed it "Climate Change" to make themselves not look so stupid when the climate goes from extremely warm to extremely cold, like it has for thousands of years... :cool:

But, "Oh no! We're gonna melt!!! from the "Global Warming"..." :rolleyes:

I'm perfectly ok with this new late winter cold trend, as long as they increase deer season through February, instead of ending on Jan 31, right in the middle of Rut, when the big bucks start showing up out in the open. For the last probably 100 years it has ended on Jan 31, and if you ask me, it should extend through to Feb 28.

Im using rl 33 with 168gr classic hunter berger bullet. 80.5 gr 3171 fps. my 7mm wby has a 30" douglas barrel on it. it my target rifle. oal is 3.426 you get more fps with rl 33 without added pressure

Embork,

That's excellent velocity. The 30" barrel sure helps.

I am getting 3268 fps with a 26" barrel with a 7mm/375 Ruger using 86 gr of RL-33

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.