7mm Weatherby and 1:10 twist

GW, a 7mm 168 grain bullet will be stable in 1 in 10, the 180 grain will not it needs 1 in 9.

GW, a 7mm 168 grain bullet will be stable in 1 in 10, the 180 grain will not it needs 1 in 9.
I know it will stabilize jacketed but will it stabilize copper. JBM doen't like it but real world could be different.

I have a 7mm rem mag with a 1-9 twist. I was thinking about trying the 168 LRX but according to the berger twist calculator they won't stabilize properly at sea level. Barnes says a 1-9 will work with them so I e-mailed them and they replied that 1-9 worked for them at altitude but they didn't know if it'd work at sea level because they hadn't tried it. They recommended the 145 LRX if you wanted to use them at lower altitudes.

Given that the manufacturer can't guarantee that a 1-9 twist will stabilize the 168 LRX, I'd be very hesitant to use that bullet in a 1-10 twist.

See the thread on the 7mm Dakota further down the page in this subforum. Hawk in WY saw keyhole impacts with the 168 LRX using a 1:9 twist barrel at 6200 ft. Seems unlikely you'l get it to stabilize using 1:10.

GW -what are you shooting at?? a 140 vld has less drop and less windage out to 500-600. the speed makes for the bc. need to shoot further??

Not sure what boat I'm in at the moment.

I did get the 145 Gr. LRX to shoot to my satisfaction.

As soon as this is put to bed, I will turn my attention to the 168.

Berger stability app says 1:9 at 6,200 feet should stabilize the bullet.

My own $.02 worth: 1:10 probably won't.

Good luck.

GW -what are you shooting at?? a 140 vld has less drop and less windage out to 500-600. the speed makes for the bc. need to shoot further??
Strictly mule deer. I'd like to eventually get out to the 500-600 yard range once my optics are upgraded. The VLD would be perfect except that I am looking for a copper bullet.

Not sure what boat I'm in at the moment.

I did get the 145 Gr. LRX to shoot to my satisfaction.

As soon as this is put to bed, I will turn my attention to the 168.

Berger stability app says 1:9 at 6,200 feet should stabilize the bullet.

My own $.02 worth: 1:10 probably won't.

Good luck.
Just the boat where you are trying to get your bullets to stabilize. I wanted to use the 168 LRX but I don't think that it will get to what I want. Going to Use the 145 instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.