7mm STW

W

Wyo37

I've been looking at cartridges for long range elk hunting out to 7-800yds. I currently hunt with a 6.5 creed and impose a 600yd limit. I practice out to 600 but my longest shot on game has only been 300 (with the the creed).

My rifle elk spot is pretty much a slam dunk if my range capability was 800yds. (Cross canyon shots in open country).

In looking, I stumbled upon the 7mm stw. It's got pretty impressive ballistics even with 175gr bullets. But so is the 300 prc with heavy for caliber bullets.

If I wanted to get into reloading would the 7stw be worth it, or would a 300prc be a better choice? Ammo is pretty hard to come by no matter the cartridge.

If you are considering the 7STW you should look at the 28 Nosler. Ballistic Twins and in the long run you will be able to get components when you won't find them for the STW

The number one issue with the 7STW is quality brass. If Peterson or ADG start making it, I'l consider, another barrel in 7STW? Until that happens 28Nosler is where I'l stay.

I own both the 7STW, and the 300 PRC, and have killed elk with both. They both get the job done, but I still prefer a 30 cal with a berger 215. I watched my buddy put 3 well placed berger 195s (28 Nosler) into the crease on a big six point at 770 and he just kept walking. I was spotting and saw the hide ripple on all 3 hits before he got to the timber. The bull actually only went about 100 yards before piling up, but still sucked them up. When we got the hide off, and all 3 shots were in the sweet spot in about an 8" circle. Lungs were jello. Granted, the bull was dead after the first shot, but they are tough, and have a very strong will to live. I`m not saying the same can`t happen with a 30, because it can. But the results I have seen at distance between the 2 seem to give the edge to a heavy for caliber 30. Just my .02