7MM STW?

How will you get a parting line? the base of the 7mag is .532". that will never touch the side of the 7stw. You are simply neck sizing with a 7mag die.
Trust me it will, I know all the dimensions and yes I know it doesn't touch but it will if your your not pushing your load hard, I should have said it differently, it will work but it will eventually show a line, I've been there and done it, you are neck sizing an unsupported case

Last edited:
Trust me it will, I know all the dimensions and yes I know it doesn't touch but it will if your your not pushing your load hard, I should have said it differently, it will work but it will eventually show a line, I've been there and done it, you are neck sizing an unsupported case
I say that because ive had an stw and 2 30stw and that is how i did it when i was into neck sizing. Had an 8mag die for fl sizing the body. Worked fine

I say that because ive had an stw and 2 30stw and that is how i did it when i was into neck sizing. Had an 8mag die for fl sizing the body. Worked fine
If it's working for you stick with it, I don't know all that much about an STW other than what I've read on the internet

It's always been my experience if you have an initial interest in something go for it rather than being talked into something else. Everytime i've deviated from my plan i've always ended up selling something i didn't like or hardly used. But i tend to over simply stuff - stw along with most 7's is an awesome round. For me i've always walked to the beat of a diff drum and in my neck of the woods it's pretty rare. So rare and speed gets to the top of my list - i have two ruger no 1 and an accumark that was initially a 300 wby i had rebarreled to 7stw because it was a LH version for me. Both shoot factory 160's nosler accubonds, 160 federal game kings and 160 trophy bonded lights out. My accumark has a 1-8.5 twist and i loaded some 175 aframes for larger plains game hunting in the texas hill country and it shoots those very well also.

Needless to say i like my stw's allot i'm sure you will too!

I can pick up a new barrel in this chambering pretty reasonably priced. I have heard you can use 7MM Remington magnum dies to load for it. How hard is brass to come by? Does this round have anything obviously wrong with it? The belt doesn't bother me but what does is the dearth of interest in it.
I have a Mike Bryant built 7STW. Great caliber!

My first 7STW was a rechambered 7mm RM. It was okay, but I wasnt satisfied with its accuracy. It was okay for deer and elk, but was definately MOA. I bought a stainless M700 magnum action and built my own rifle. Broughton 5R 1 in 8" 27" fluted Sendero barrel. H&R precision stock. I'll always own a 7STW.

3 or 4 grains less powder
If you look at Nosler load data, you will see that there is only one grain difference in the load data and the velocity is marginally different, almost identical. So, the only difference would be the absence of the belt and a 1/2 inch shorter case. The shorter fatter case supposedly is more consistent, but I have had no issues as long as I used magnum primers. You will have to use a magezine box with cut outs to accommodate the fatter case and you will probably need to alter the feed rails to insure reliable feeding. One advantage the 28 Nosler could have is you could lengthen the throat so you could seat the long-heavy bullets out further so you can take advantage of the "extra" 3gr. powder capacity, but both cartridges are so over bore that any gain will be minimal. Normally, a 4% increase of powder will giv you a 2% increase in velocity. in the 28 Nosler would have a 50-60 FPS advantage, but with those case capacities, they are so inefficient, so you might see a minimal gain. I would love to see a side to side comparison.

If you look at Nosler load data, you will see that there is only one grain difference in the load data and the velocity is marginally different, almost identical. So, the only difference would be the absence of the belt and a 1/2 inch shorter case. The shorter fatter case supposedly is more consistent, but I have had no issues as long as I used magnum primers. You will have to use a magezine box with cut outs to accommodate the fatter case and you will probably need to alter the feed rails to insure reliable feeding. One advantage the 28 Nosler could have is you could lengthen the throat so you could seat the long-heavy bullets out further so you can take advantage of the "extra" 3gr. powder capacity, but both cartridges are so over bore that any gain will be minimal. Normally, a 4% increase of powder will giv you a 2% increase in velocity. in the 28 Nosler would have a 50-60 FPS advantage, but with those case capacities, they are so inefficient, so you might see a minimal gain. I would love to see a side to side comparison.
Magazine and feed rails are easy. Rum action and mag box fix it. Or, open up the rails by .020"ish and use rum mag box. All easy. The 28 nosler is not inefficient, imo. It is actually a perfect setup. 26 nosler is another story :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.