7mm stw x-caliber barrels

Ray Ray

I need to swap my barrel on my stw and x-caliber offers a barrel swap that's treaded with a barrel nut for a Remington 700 wonder if anyone has tried them Ps go easy on me never had a barrel swapped before

I need to swap my barrel on my stw and x-caliber offers a barrel swap that's treaded with a barrel nut for a Remington 700 wonder if anyone has tried them Ps go easy on me never had a barrel swapped before
A nut will require some material taken out of the stock for clearance. Southern precision rifles makes the bug nut. Then you can keep the size of your barrel shank. I know PTG makes nuts too. I try to talk everyone into a shoulder fit. Just a cleaner way.

Thanks not sure if I want to go the barrel nut route now just seems like it will be cheaper too swap in the future

Not with Remington but with Savage and I use PVAs barrel nut ...

.264 WM scoped at the range.jpg

PVA barrel nut.jpg

I have used both Remage and Savage Prefit barrels. The nut may (or may not) fit your Rem700 stock.
Between Rem and Savage, I found the Rem barrel tang to be more sketchy. IIRC, both are not much more than stamped steel, and bought a PTG for each as a replacement.
As far as X-caliber, they shoot. They had QC issues years ago but those seem cleared up.
An acquaintance decided he wanted to shoot 600 BR. Bought an X-caliber Savage prefit, won the league that year and has won several since. All on Xc barrels, and shooting against professional, sponsored shooters. That speaks to the quality of the shooter and barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.