7mm stw with 195 Eol Berger load info.

D

Deleted member 102985

Hey, just picked up some of these 195 Eol wanted to see if you guys have any info on how they flew. Also looking for starting load data for my 7 stw for them. Thanks

I have some retumbo 215m and new rp brass. Any starting powder charge with retumbo?

Retumbo in the STW (or any other cartridge for that matter) was never consistent, nor did it produce any good groups for me. Still got some sitting on the bench collecting dust. I have found that 7977 when testing with my .300 Ackley (similar design and capacity to the STW) was producing an ES of 14 FPS and an SD of 7 FPS.

I was considering building a 300WM for LRH. But I followed the advice of a very experienced LR shooter/ hunter I know and had a 7RM built and chambered around 195 Berger EOL instead. It has proven to be quite a potent all purpose/ all weather killing machine. I'm getting 2806fps (gunsmith's chrono) or 2760fps (my ballistic calculator verified to 1000 yds) mv with 66.8gr H1000, Norma Brass through a 26" Bartlein barrel. The BC on this bullet is so high, it has more energy at 1200 yds than many factory 7RM loads have at 800 yds. That's a 50% increase in effective range in the same caliber! I didn't believe it either. It's true though. My rifle is 11.5lbs with optic and it so pleasant to shoot with only a Hellfire brake. I've shot 30 or so rounds in a session with no sled and no problems. I can usually see my bullet hit the animal at anything over 150 yds or so. That's a first for me in this size caliber.

First photo is my 195 load next to a Federal 175gr factory load. They don't even look like the same caliber. Next is my actual ballistic table I hunt with. That's sea level performance, btw. Next is a photo taken during load development demonstrating its typical .25-.4 MOA accuracy. Finally, there's a photo of a nice WT buck I took at 200 yds, not a long shot. But the next pic is the weather conditions that day. I figured a 25mph direct crosswind that was probably slightly underestimated. But I needed so little wind hold, I felt confident in the shot and you can see the bullet hit right on target. This bullet has created large exit holes on smaller does at 100-200 yds, but also had the ability to effect a complete pass through on a Nilgai neck at 950 yds. You can probably tell that I'm extremely happy with pretty much everything I've seen so far from the 195 Berger. I really don't feel like I need a bigger caliber for any of the hunting I do. I think you'll be just as happy with your STW pushing the 195 another 100-200 fps more.

195 Berger Comparison.jpg 195 EOL Ballistics.jpg Berger Load Development.JPG 10 pt Llano Springs.jpg Llano Springs WX.jpg

Hey, just picked up some of these 195 Eol wanted to see if you guys have any info on how they flew. Also looking for starting load data for my 7 stw for them. Thanks
I am just switching my 7STW from 180 Berger VLDs to the EOL 195s. McWhorter Custom rifle, 26" Brux barrel 1:8.5" twist, Nosler brass, Fed 215M primers, 70.5 grn RL-26, 2938 fps.

I was considering building a 300WM for LRH. But I followed the advice of a very experienced LR shooter/ hunter I know and had a 7RM built and chambered around 195 Berger EOL instead. It has proven to be quite a potent all purpose/ all weather killing machine. I'm getting 2806fps (gunsmith's chrono) or 2760fps (my ballistic calculator verified to 1000 yds) mv with 66.8gr H1000, Norma Brass through a 26" Bartlein barrel. The BC on this bullet is so high, it has more energy at 1200 yds than many factory 7RM loads have at 800 yds. That's a 50% increase in effective range in the same caliber! I didn't believe it either. It's true though. My rifle is 11.5lbs with optic and it so pleasant to shoot with only a Hellfire brake. I've shot 30 or so rounds in a session with no sled and no problems. I can usually see my bullet hit the animal at anything over 150 yds or so. That's a first for me in this size caliber.

First photo is my 195 load next to a Federal 175gr factory load. They don't even look like the same caliber. Next is my actual ballistic table I hunt with. That's sea level performance, btw. Next is a photo taken during load development demonstrating its typical .25-.4 MOA accuracy. Finally, there's a photo of a nice WT buck I took at 200 yds, not a long shot. But the next pic is the weather conditions that day. I figured a 25mph direct crosswind that was probably slightly underestimated. But I needed so little wind hold, I felt confident in the shot and you can see the bullet hit right on target. This bullet has created large exit holes on smaller does at 100-200 yds, but also had the ability to effect a complete pass through on a Nilgai neck at 950 yds. You can probably tell that I'm extremely happy with pretty much everything I've seen so far from the 195 Berger. I really don't feel like I need a bigger caliber for any of the hunting I do. I think you'll be just as happy with your STW pushing the 195 another 100-200 fps more.

View attachment 103731 View attachment 103732 View attachment 103733 View attachment 103734 View attachment 103735
Nice buck! Thanks for the data I think I will give them a go.

I am just switching my 7STW from 180 Berger VLDs to the EOL 195s. McWhorter Custom rifle, 26" Brux barrel 1:8.5" twist, Nosler brass, Fed 215M primers, 70.5 grn RL-26, 2938 fps.
Have you done much testing with them for grouping?

Weve got 2 stw built by mcwhorter brux 8 twist 26 long most accurate load is rel. 26 and 195 eol 3085 fps 1150 yard group.View attachment 105022
My son and I both have a stw from mcwhorter. His is a Hart barrel Reloader 26, 195 at 3080 on lab radar. I shoot a 180 berger in mine at 3,150 being conservative thru a Proof barrel. The fellows at McWhorter are great guys to deal with !! By the way that's some great shooting ,heck of a group! By the way we live in Florida and that reloader 26 has performed for us in Wyoming/Colorado at 10 degrees the same as home at a 100. Have a good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.