7mm stw w/8twist and 180 bergers or jlk's

nddodd

Hey fellas I'm fixing to get a shilen match barrel 30" finished and chamber it in 7mm stw w/8twist and I'd like to shoot 180 bergers or jlk's. I'd like all the advice possible on this. I've loaded for the stw alot but never with these bullets. Also do you think the stw with a 8 twist will handle the 200gr wildcats.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Nathan

One more question would a 7 rum have that much more of a advantage over the stw. If so which do y'all think is more accurate.

Hey fellas I'm fixing to get a shilen match barrel 30" finished and chamber it in 7mm stw w/8twist and I'd like to shoot 180 bergers or jlk's. I'd like all the advice possible on this. I've loaded for the stw alot but never with these bullets. Also do you think the stw with a 8 twist will handle the 200gr wildcats.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Nathan

I have a buddy that rebarreled a 700 Remington in that caliber. He has a 27" strait 1" taper barrel with the 1:8 twist. Shoots nothing but big heavy Bergers (168's I think maybe) thru it for 800 yard shots. Tony claims to have shot a snow goose at 850 yards, but so far he hasn't produced much evidence<g>!!
gary

I have an STW in a Weatherby Accumark and the 200 did not stabilize. I was using US869 powder and got great velocity (3000) but the bullets slapped the target sideways at a 100..bummer but to be expected in a 9.5 twist.

If you contact Kirby Allen here on this site he may share some info on the twist rate to shoot those 200's. He builds his 7mm Allen Mag's around that 200 bullet. Just and awesome bullet. The Berger 180 is no slouch either. I'm sure Richard can give you that info for twist rate for his bullets too.

You have the right idea in going with that long of a barrel. The stw shines with 140's
as far as the bore size to powder ratio. I can only get to 175's with a 9.25 twist and
they are marginal. I stick with 162-165's. Been tempted to work up a load with one
of the new Bergers in a heavier bullet though. Keep us posted!

Thanks for all the replies fellas, my main concern was the twist. Will the 8 twist be to fast for anything less than a 180 class bullet, not that I want to shoot 160's but if something happens and I can't get any 180's or the 200's.

Keep all the info coming,
Nathan

I think most bullets should hold together. 3450-3600 is about as fast as you will
push the lighter bullets. 3200-3300 with 160-175's certainly shouldn't blow bullets
up. And there are always solids.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.