7mm STW vs 7mm WBY

HarryN

7mm STW and 7mm Weatherby - These two look like near twins to me.

I am asking this question to learn, not to start a debate.

I have looked at these two rounds pretty closely for specs:
- Price of reloading supplies and new ammo
- Brands of reloading suppliers
- Case size, length, parent brass, suppliers of brass for loading
- powder capacity, powder charges in reloading manuals
- published literature on muzzle velocity, etc.

I probably am missing something, but so far, the only differences I have found are:
- WBY double radius shoulder vs. more conventional bottle brass shape
- 1940 by Roy vs. 1979 by Lane
- Which company is making the money, and even that is hardly different anymore
- Maybe a 1% difference in muzzle velocity - still not sure on this aspect

I am just curious how people chose the STW vs. the Weatherby version.

Thanks

Harry

I think you might be confused... The 7mm STW is a MUCH longer case than the 7mm Wby. The 7mm Wby is a great caliber, but the 7mm STW can push the heavy bullets alot faster.

The 7mm Wby is much closer to the 7mm RemMag in almost every way. The 7mm STW is not a 7mm RemMag.

The 7mm Wby with a 26" barrel can push the 180's around 2,900 (possibly 3K). The STW can push them 3,100+ with a 26" barrel.

As far as reloading costs, yes, they will be fairly close, but the STW will be alot cheaper.

Maybe things have changed over time -not sure.

Prices from midwayusa.com

- 7mm STW brass, Nosler, $ 68 / 25 (in stock)
- 7mm STW brass, Remington, $ 20 / 20 (out of stock, so maybe doesn't matter)
- 7mm WBY brass, WBY, $ 42 / 20 (in stock)

Loaded ammo

- 7mm STW loads, Nosler, $ 65 - 80 / 20 (4 types in stock)
- 7mm WBY loads, Nosler, Wby, Norma, $ 60 - 80 (5 types in stock)

I am not promoting one or the other, but I have found it interesting that even when a lot of places were out of ammo, you could still get Wby stuff. Maybe it isn't as popular due to its history of being "pricey".

Maybe WBY decided that if they want to sell any 7mm rifles / ammo, they better get price competitive with 7mm STW. Competition is a good thing.

Ok, thanks, this is helpful.

According to Wikipedia.org,

7mm STW case = 2.85 in
7mm WBY case = 2.55 in

0.3 inches, yes it is longer. Maybe I am under estimating the effect.

I should look at some more load data. Wiki has them both listed as virtually identical for 175 grain bullet loads, then again, that isn't exactly etched in stone is it.

listen to Mudrunner. He knows. I just got an STW. All I have done is clean it, drool over scopes and scope accessories. A timney trigger is on the way. BY next year it will be ready. Maybe I'll have my dad kill his first bull with it.

Harry,I do not own anything but Weatherby rifles chambered in Weatherby calibers, but I would never own a 7mm Wby over a more accurate, longer range 7STW. Just my opinion.

If you look over the years at factory ammo, you will notice that some rounds are now slower than before. The STW lost its steam against the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Weatherby Mag when the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag came out. The 7mm Rem lost steam when the Short Mags came out. These rounds were de-turned for the new kids on the block. This is in factory ammo, and in some of the reloading manuals too.

If you compare some of the 160 gr factory ammo, you will see that the STW is a bit faster, but not by much. Nosler has a difference of about 25 fps in favor of the STW. Now, a few years ago this load from Federal was around 3200 fps, almost 125 fps faster than Nosler. If you look at Double Tap ammo, they say 3300 fps for this same load!!!

The current Federal loads are dead even, so this brings the rifle that you want into play.

The Weatherby has a higher overall pressure point too, that is how it gets past the 7mm Rem Mag.

Both of these rounds have free bore, so you can more them out some when reloading.

At one point, factory ammo was way easier to find for the STW, but it has lost ground there. But, both have good high end factory loads now with bullets that will hold together, when you can find it.

Now, when I went to buy my first STW I was really going to get another 7mm Rem Mag. The problem was, is the rifle that I wanted it in, they could only get a 7mm STW. The Rem Mag was sold out and they could not get any. I sold my brother my old Rem Mag, and it was a shooter too, so was not sure of changing things up at the time. I did some research that night, and the next day I ordered the STW. I have been hooked since, and now I own 2 STW's. They both shoot good, with one being a dead nuts crazy accurate rifle.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am not ready to buy anything nor leaning one way or the other right now. It is good to see that there is a real world difference between them.

I had just sort of looked at them all as "another":
- 375 H&H daughter round
- Blown out
- necked down or necked up to xxx mm
- with the newest hi-zoot shoulder angle of the day
- and a new name stamped on it to sell new guns
- another cartridge for the ammo makers to build for, when they can't keep up with even basic stuff

I don't mean to criticize or anything, its just that there are a heck of a lot of minor cartridge variations between 6 and 7mm, and I am a pretty simple guy. A person can spend a month just to start to understand all of the variations in that group.

It does sound like a hard hitting round - probably need to fire one a few times.

Don't shoot one Harry.......Don't you dare shoot one... You just might catch the disease we've all caught. :D

I caught mine over 12 years ago when I special ordered my Sendero SF straight from Remington, thanks to my connections while working at the gun store. Best decision I ever made. My favorite rifle I've ever owned, too. They're all my favorites, but that is the one that I will be buried with, because it means the most to me.

A few months back I acquired a 2nd STW, that was a custom built Sendero (by my gunsmith), for a buddy of mine. He never got a chance to shoot it, and ran into some money troubles, so I bought it from him to help him out.

I actually have a rifle buying strategy believe it or not, and the STW sort of messes with it.

Living here in CA, we are pretty much on a copper bullet diet, so my 270 win is now a "100 grain bullet x about 3K ft/sec" gun.

After some tormented thought, I decided that I should also own one each "200 grain and 300 grain x about 3 K ft/ sec" guns to sort of balance out life.

Right now, I am saving up for the 300 grainer, so for now I will just have to horse trade shooting time on an STW and 200 grain capable rifles with someone that wants to have fun with the 300 grainer.

I shoot a 7 weatherby with a 24" barrel with 180 Bergers at 2747fps. Anyone know what a STW with the same barrel length and bullets velocity is?

I actually have a rifle buying strategy believe it or not, and the STW sort of messes with it.

Living here in CA, we are pretty much on a copper bullet diet, so my 270 win is now a "100 grain bullet x about 3K ft/sec" gun.

After some tormented thought, I decided that I should also own one each "200 grain and 300 grain x about 3 K ft/ sec" guns to sort of balance out life.

Right now, I am saving up for the 300 grainer, so for now I will just have to horse trade shooting time on an STW and 200 grain capable rifles with someone that wants to have fun with the 300 grainer.
But think about it.....What if you could have a 3,000-3,100 fps 180gr Berger Hyrbrid slinging monster..... Think how cool that would be. :cool:

I have a 3K 210gr slinging gun, it's a .300 Ackley Improved Magnum. It's seriously beastmode for a 10-11lb hunting rifle (Sendero SF custom build). :D

I shoot a 7 weatherby with a 24" barrel with 180 Bergers at 2747fps. Anyone know what a STW with the same barrel length and bullets velocity is?
I'm at 3K not even really pushing my 180 Bergers with a 26" barrel (no pressure signs). So I would think 2,950-3K is very possible for a 24" STW if pushed to warm loads.