7mm STW Reloading Thread

I had a rifle built by McWhorter Custom Rifles for elk and mule deer hunting, and they love the 7 STW shooting 180 or 195 Bergers. My rifle has a 1:8.5" twist barrel, and will stabilize either of the Bergers. I get 3100 fps. on the 180's with RL-26, and the rifle shoots 1/2 MOA. I am expecting around 2950 fps. on the 195's (just got some and am about to start reloading them).

Took this 6x6 bull last September in Utah at 801 yards.
fullsizeoutput_2cb3.jpeg

Thanks for sharing Howard, impressive kill. I'm planning to try a cross canyon shot on an Aoudad if I can ever get this gun dialed in and an elk hunt is definitely on my bucket list.

CT's = the Nosler coated silver tips?

Plugged numbers into this calculator which agrees with you... 168 is only marginally stable in 1:10 barrel with 140, 150 optimum.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
Still puzzling why there are so many recommending longer, heavier bullets, including my gunsmith. Going to chat with him again today.

Thanks Fellas!
Yep Nosler Combined Technology

Much appreciated.

The gun is a US production Weatherby Mark V, rechambered from 7 Wby, 26" magnum contour factory barrel. I've free floated the barrel and bedded the action, modified trigger spring by cutting 1.5 coils and adjusted down to 2.5 lbs, but it's not real consistent per my gauge, before or after modification. Scope is Swarovski Z5 3.5 x 18 x 44, mounted in Leupold rings and bases.

Have only tried RL26 and 162 ELD-X so, far, ladder powder charges and stepped seating depths. Doesn't seem to like either component, so making a change.

I've tried a few powders and the one that consistently works with every bullet weight is H1000. It's temp stable, too. You may not get quite the velocity you're looking for, but it tends to be real accurate. It's my go to powder for the STW

140 CT'S I say, Backed with about 82gr of RL25 and she'll spin up real nice
Yup, I agree as well, I think your about limited to 140 class bullets.
As Brother Bean said, the 140 ct bullet is whitetail lightening. So is a Barnes 140 TTSX.
Rose, I wasn't even thinking about the extra length on the lrx.
She'll still shoot, just not the heavies!

Last edited:
CT's = the Nosler coated silver tips?

Plugged numbers into this calculator which agrees with you... 168 is only marginally stable in 1:10 barrel with 140, 150 optimum.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
Still puzzling why there are so many recommending longer, heavier bullets, including my gunsmith. Going to chat with him again today.

Thanks Fellas!
For the most part, and the reason everyone is recommending the 160 class bullets, is that MOST seven bores, are 1-9, to 1-9.25.
That will stabilize anything up to about 168 safely. After that, you need a 8 twist, for the real heavies, 175-180+.

Puzzling why Weatherby selected and stuck with 1:10 for so long. I understand the really old German guns were 1:12. Guessing it was all about hypervelocity, before high bc, long, heavy boat tailed bullets became a thing. Perhaps I need to try some good ole flat based spitzers.

Picked up some H1000 of the shelf, but had to order the RL 25. Also grabbed some Fed 215 and Rem 9.5 primers to mix it up. Will ladder load some 140's and 150's to see if I can find a good combination.

140 CT'S I say, Backed with about 82gr of RL25 and she'll spin up real nice
Hornady is back to producing the Interbond so either it or the ELD-X I think is the direction I'd go.

The old Winchester CT/Ballistic Silvertips weren't in the same league BC wise. They'd certainly kill game dead if you hit them right but there are better bullets out there.

I got started shooting the Supreme's when I was so busy guiding and working dogs I just really didn't hve time to reload for about a decade and they shot so well for me in both the 7RM and STW at the ranges I was shooting, usually 250-500yds I just saw no reason to shoot anything else.

I bought a few boxes of the 150gr STW ammo and it shot so well I bought two full cases when I caught them on sale. I got down to my last five or six boxes a few years back and hit the panic button knowing I was about to have to get serious about reloading again.

That was actually if I remember right what first drew me to this site to begin with.

I've made a bunch of great friends and acquired some great guns as a result. I even broke the beat out to shoot a few LR Hogs and a couple of coyotes this year just thinking of you. HA!

Hornady is back to producing the Interbond so either it or the ELD-X I think is the direction I'd go.

The old Winchester CT/Ballistic Silvertips weren't in the same league BC wise. They'd certainly kill game dead if you hit them right but there are better bullets out there.

I got started shooting the Supreme's when I was so busy guiding and working dogs I just really didn't hve time to reload for about a decade and they shot so well for me in both the 7RM and STW at the ranges I was shooting, usually 250-500yds I just saw no reason to shoot anything else.

I bought a few boxes of the 150gr STW ammo and it shot so well I bought two full cases when I caught them on sale. I got down to my last five or six boxes a few years back and hit the panic button knowing I was about to have to get serious about reloading again.

That was actually if I remember right what first drew me to this site to begin with.

I've made a bunch of great friends and acquired some great guns as a result. I even broke the beat out to shoot a few LR Hogs and a couple of coyotes this year just thinking of you. HA!
Well I'm glad you still think of me from time to time ......TeeHee, and I do Agee with you on bullet selection, I'm just suggesting the combination that I know worked for a lot of folks and though I have not used them in the STW the Hornady ELDX is one of my favorite bullets rite now

Well I'm glad you still think of me from time to time ......TeeHee, and I do Agee with you on bullet selection, I'm just suggesting the combination that I know worked for a lot of folks and though I have not used them in the STW the Hornady ELDX is one of my favorite bullets rite now
Brothers from other mothers, what else can ya say?

It's almost funny how many good friends the STW has made me over the years.

I really do think, that the 140 tsx, TTSX, would rock in that ten twist.
I wouldn't be afraid of trying the LRX either. I believe it would fly under the radar, so to speak, as far as rifle twist goes.
And yeah, no doubt the ELD.
Peace brothers!