7mm STW Reloading Thread

I think I must have missed it but what is your twist rate.
Much appreciated.

The gun is a US production Weatherby Mark V, rechambered from 7 Wby, 26" magnum contour factory barrel. I've free floated the barrel and bedded the action, modified trigger spring by cutting 1.5 coils and adjusted down to 2.5 lbs, but it's not real consistent per my gauge, before or after modification. Scope is Swarovski Z5 3.5 x 18 x 44, mounted in Leupold rings and bases.

Have only tried RL26 and 162 ELD-X so, far, ladder powder charges and stepped seating depths. Doesn't seem to like either component, so making a change.

The webbies, usually shoot pretty well, and definitely better then what you've been getting.
Once in a while, you'll get one that's a little finicky, but once you find your load, your golden.
I do know that Weatherby uses a little more freebore then others, but that's usually not a big deal.
I'm really thinking by going to the Rl25, or H1000, and 215's, you note a difference.

Looking for an RL26 load without success. Best of recent loadings in Weatherby #3 26" barrel = 162 grn ELD-X over 78.5 grn, 3.640 COAL, lit by CCI 250, gives consistent 3,220 fps, but yields unimpressive 1.75" - 2" groups at 100 yds. See some crazy fast numbers on here but doubtful more powder going to help.
For the 160's I'm running between 77.0-78gr in three different STW's with excellent accuracy.

Yes, I've read some debate on suitability of twist rate for bigger projectiles, but a good many say not a concern. I will go both directions to see for myself.
Nobody that knows what they are talking about. Either a bullet will stabilize at a given twist rate or it won't and when you go below the recommended minimum you're buying a lifetime of aggravation and problems.

Thanks WR.

Any suggestions on what 150's to go with, what powder and what fps to expect? I have inexpensive Hornady Ballistic Tips in 150 coming, as well as some 175's. I've read 140's are not as accurate or as deadly. Seems like 150 Swift Scirocco IIs are popular...

Thanks WR.

Any suggestions on what 150's to go with, what powder and what fps to expect? I have inexpensive Hornady Ballistic Tips in 150 coming, as well as some 175's. I've read 140's are not as accurate or as deadly. Seems like 150 Swift Scirocco IIs are popular...
I killed many truckloads of game and coyotes with the 140's and 150's, mostly shooting old Winchester Supreme with the CT tech bullets and hornady Interbonds.

Find a load it likes and don't worry about the weight. If you are shooting a decent bullet out to 600yds you won't know the difference.

Forget the 175's you have no hope of stabilizing them, see if you can swap them for some lighter bullets. With a 1:10 twist even the 160's are out of bounds.

Give these a ride and see how they work.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

139-154gr Interbond

Thanks WR.

There's been a bunch of critters killed and a ton of Sub.5 groups on this thread with the 140 CT's and I mean a ton

According to Weatherby, 1 in 10
Ohhhhhhh, if yours Iis 1-10, you may have issues with longer, heavier bullets.
Try a 145lrx, Barnes. It has the mass of a 150 ish weight, but it'll stabilize, and speed will be around 3400 ish. Whitetail killin machine. And I'm thinking no elk would carry it far EITHER!
Wasnt even thinking about your twist. Assumed it was 1-9

Ohhhhhhh, if yours Iis 1-10, you may have issues with longer, heavier bullets.
Try a 145lrx, Barnes. It has the mass of a 150 ish weight, but it'll stabilize, and speed will be around 3400 ish. Whitetail killin machine. And I'm thinking no elk would carry it far EITHER!
Wasnt even thinking about your twist. Assumed it was 1-9
That's going to be way too long for a 10 twist. Remember they are about 10% longer than conventional bullets.