7mm STW Reloading Thread

Stan. This is Doc from SC. Youll love RL 25 in the STW. That's what I finally went to in the AO gun I got from you and my Collier STW. BTW Natchez has RL 26. Just bought 8lbs this week. Hope the baby is doing well.
Robby.

Good deal! So she's shooting good for you? For some crazy reason Natchez won't ship to GA. The baby is doing great. 7 months old last week.

Midsouth has RL25 1lbs cans in stock and Sportsman's Warehouse has RL26 in both 1 and 8lbs cans in stock and offers free shipping on orders over 99.00. Congrats on the baby.

T
Midsouth has RL25 1lbs cans in stock and Sportsman's Warehouse has RL26 in both 1 and 8lbs cans in stock and offers free shipping on orders over 99.00. Congrats on the baby.

Thanks Rose. Couldn't get it to give me free shipping and they only had one 1 lber so I had to opt for the 8 lber.

StaMic....I am surprised N570 did not perform for you. It has been magical in my STW and my factory 7RM with 180 VLD.

jjw
ND

I was surprised too. My best and only good group was 3/8 MOA at 200 yds but was too hot. Blew a primer out on the third shot of the string.

I've been using Berger 180 VLD's, Nosler brass, fed 215's, and 76 grains of H-1000 at 3.890 COAL. Rebarreled 2 years ago and it still works, but needs to tighten up.

Any recommendations?

MG Arms ultralight with Kreiger 5.5 28". Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS. Not really an ultralight anymore...

I've been using Berger 180 VLD's, Nosler brass, fed 215's, and 76 grains of H-1000 at 3.890 COAL. Rebarreled 2 years ago and it still works, but needs to tighten up.

Any recommendations?

MG Arms ultralight with Kreiger 5.5 28". Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS. Not really an ultralight anymore...
"Tighten up" how? What twist rate have you got on the new barrel?

The throat may be different than your original barrel so it may be time to start over.

I'd find the most accurate load I could playing with the powder charge and then try tweaking it by adjusting the seating depth.

It wouldn't be nuts at all to go ahead and seat them at 3.6", find your most accurate load and then start messing with the seating depth just to be sure you're safe.

"Tighten up" how? What twist rate have you got on the new barrel?

The throat may be different than your original barrel so it may be time to start over.

I'd find the most accurate load I could playing with the powder charge and then try tweaking it by adjusting the seating depth.

It wouldn't be nuts at all to go ahead and seat them at 3.6", find your most accurate load and then start messing with the seating depth just to be sure you're safe.

It's a 1-9 Barrel. Shooting 3/4" 5 shot groups. Not bad, just want better. I'll start playing with the seating depth again. Drives me nuts

I was surprised too. My best and only good group was 3/8 MOA at 200 yds but was too hot. Blew a primer out on the third shot of the string.
Having run a whole lot of RL26 and RL 23 along with H1000 over the last month through the STW's and Rum's I'm more impressed every day with 23/26 in the big cases from .300wm on up.

H1000 is as reliable as an old Toyota Land Cruiser but it's also slower.

It's a 1-9 Barrel. Shooting 3/4" 5 shot groups. Not bad, just want better. I'll start playing with the seating depth again. Drives me nuts
Quit shooting 5 shot groups, they are a waste of powder, bullets, and throat life.
Stick to 3 shot groups which will give you a much more realistic representation of field performance.

In the field it would be almost unheard of for you to take more than 3 shots at a single target.

Three shots inside of a minute are pretty much "it". Beyond that you'd be shooting at a wounded animal you had to track down because the first three didn't get the job done. By then the barrel has already cooled back down.

You'll ruin a lot of barrels trying to get to a perfect five shot group.

I cannot ever remember shooting more than 3 shots at a single animal in the last thirty years, it just doesn't happen.

I did run through six on four running coyotes in the open Saturday evening though. One of them is still looking for his friends.

Quit shooting 5 shot groups, they are a waste of powder, bullets, and throat life.
Stick to 3 shot groups which will give you a much more realistic representation of field performance.

In the field it would be almost unheard of for you to take more than 3 shots at a single target.

Three shots inside of a minute are pretty much "it". Beyond that you'd be shooting at a wounded animal you had to track down because the first three didn't get the job done. By then the barrel has already cooled back down.

You'll ruin a lot of barrels trying to get to a perfect five shot group.

I cannot ever remember shooting more than 3 shots at a single animal in the last thirty years, it just doesn't happen.

I did run through six on four running coyotes in the open Saturday evening though. One of them is still looking for his friends.
I always do 3 shot groups with my hunting rifles. If you shoot more than 3 times chances are your just wasting ammo after that. I do run 5 shot groups on my target rifle though. It's very difficult to get a 5 shot group close to a 3 shot. It takes alot more development.

Having run a whole lot of RL26 and RL 23 along with H1000 over the last month through the STW's and Rum's I'm more impressed every day with 23/26 in the big cases from .300wm on up.

H1000 is as reliable as an old Toyota Land Cruiser but it's also slower.

I've been using H-1000 in my 300 win mag and 338 Lapua too. Just trying to keep it simple.

I run the same motor oil in my diesel, airboat, and Land Cruiser. Lol

Not trying to start all over. Thanks

I've been using H-1000 in my 300 win mag and 338 Lapua too. Just trying to keep it simple.

I run the same motor oil in my diesel, airboat, and Land Cruiser. Lol

Not trying to start all over. Thanks
I do too. I only went to H1000 because I couldn't get H870 anymore. I only tried the Alliant powders when they were available and after a year of waiting on H1000 I gave in and tried them.

I load for .204 Ruger, 5.56 NATO, .220 Swift .260 Rem, 7mm STW, 300wm, 300Rum, and .375 Ruger, and that's just in rifle calibers so by necessity I have quite a few different powders around all the time anyhow, HA!

Recent Posts