7mm stw question

harleybug

I have a rem 700 7mm mag what does it take to convert to stw , and is it worth it. Does the stw round outperform the mag that much. I see a lot of followers on the sight and it has caught my interest. Any info is appreciated.

I have a rem 700 7mm mag what does it take to convert to stw , and is it worth it. Does the stw round outperform the mag that much. I see a lot of followers on the sight and it has caught my interest. Any info is appreciated.

Any gain depends on several variables.

One is barrel length.In a 24" barrel, the STW will still slightly outperform the Rem 7 MAG at similar operating pressures.In 26" or longer, it will pull away quickly by up to 200 FPS, depending on the load and powder.

As for a conversion, you will need (obviously) a good gunsmith to rechamber your barrel.You MAY need a new magazine box, depending on how your particular 700 is configured.You will need a new follower and possibly a new magazine spring.

Hope this helps.

Any gain depends on several variables.

One is barrel length.In a 24" barrel, the STW will still slightly outperform the Rem 7 MAG at similar operating pressures.In 26" or longer, it will pull away quickly by up to 200 FPS, depending on the load and powder.

As for a conversion, you will need (obviously) a good gunsmith to rechamber your barrel.You MAY need a new magazine box, depending on how your particular 700 is configured.You will need a new follower and possibly a new magazine spring.

Hope this helps.

He won't need any of this.

If your rifle came from the factory as a 7mm RemMag, all you will have to do is find a competent gunsmith to open up the chamber to 7mm STW. That's it.

All 700 long action recievers are the SAME length. All the magazine boxes are the same length. The only differences in between a standard long action (.25-06, .270, .30-06) and a magnum long action (7mmRM, 7mm STW, .300 WM) is that the magnum long action has a .540" bolt face, and a different floorplate (shaped differently) to accept the larger diameter magnum cases.

Thank u mudrunner I'm building this rifle so can I just order my new barrel in stw.

You can, but if you're building it yourself, you might want to get a reamer and wait to chamber it until you get the action trued so you can make sure all your measurements are right so you can get your headspacing set.

I ordered my accurizing kit and receiver face cutter so I'll order the finish dreamer also I'm doing all the work on this gun my self. So I just need gauges next and lapping compound. Thank u for the advice.

I ordered my accurizing kit and receiver face cutter so I'll order the finish dreamer also I'm doing all the work on this gun my self. So I just need gauges next and lapping compound. Thank u for the advice.

Midway USA should have PT&G 7mm STW reamers in stock. Or you could call Pacific Tool & Gauge and talk to Dave Kiff and order one straight from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.