7mm STW powder?

huntokanogan

I finaly picked up my 7mm stw. I bought a rem. 700 bdl with a 26 in barrel. 1 in 9" twist.
I have a box of Berger VLD 168grn. and Nossler accubond 160grn.
The powder I selected was RL-22.
I haven't had time to make any loads yet, but just wanted to get confermation I was on the right track. I don't have a lot of reloading experience.
Is there another powder or bullet anyone would suggest? Retumbo?
Thanks for the help.

IMR 7828 was developed for the 7mm STW and would be another good powder to try.

Powder that will give you near 100% case density at max pressure has been most effective on
my STWs.

J E CUSTOM

I shoot 77.0grs of Reloader-22 with a 160gr Accubond.I could possibly go up a grain to a grain and a half more,but I'm getting great groups with it in my Sendero,so I left it at that.I was also getting just under 3200fps.

data circa 1992
hodgdon #26 and sierra 4th edition
stwdata.jpg

hodgdon26.jpg

also 90-94 gr of WC-872 shoots well with a 160 accubond
RR

RL22 is really good with the 140 grain bullets. The heavier bullets will bring alot higher performance. The 180 Berger and Retumbo is a great combination.

Another vote for 7828. I load it in two STW's and excellent accuracy and velocity in both. Great cartridge.

I shoot a 24" barreled STW 1-9.25 twist and here is what I load:

H1000 140 Gr. TTSX - HbN coated 3450 fps
Retumbo 180 Berger VLD 3000 fps

Both go 1/2 moa

I have had great luck with Retumbo and both the 160gr Accubond and the Berger 168gr VLD. The Berger shoots .75 moa at 3200 fps in a Sendero barrel.

The nice thing about H1000 and retumbo is they are both in the extreme line of powders. Now I know out of a regular 7MM I use to get great acuracy with IMR 4831, but am not sure how temp sensitive it is????

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.