7mm stw or 8mm rem mag. What action will work?

victor3ranger

I have a old Remington 700 7mm rem mag and I am curious if it is good enough to use if I want to go with a 7mm stw or 8mm mag??

Please look at the this dimension drawing of the 7mm STW:

1686400704483.png

.300 Win. Mag.
1686401283609.png

There are a few work arounds for 7mm STW cartridge as far as overall length is concerned but you might want to look at the 7mm STW forum on this website:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/7mm-stw.126/

There's more to it than trying to jam this cartridge into a .300 Win. Mag. box.

:)

I don't have near the experience as others on this site but, I think how you finish your chamber is an important consideration.
When I bought my factory Rem Sendero, I found my best accuracy was loading to 3.600 COAL. I tried loading to the lands or just off which would have it a single shot due to mag length.
I am certain others will chime in with good info on this.

Good morning and congratulations on picking an awesome caliber. First off if you want to be able to use your magazine that's in your gun. You can shot a lighter mono bullet like in the 140 range so you don't have to take up so much room in the case. And I would look at putting one of these in to help as well it will give you full 4 inches.

Or like on my custom I just single shoot it that way I can shot the heavies and not take up all my powder column. Your going to love this caliber 😉

The Remington 700 long action with magnum bolt face will work fine. It is best to modify the action and stock for a 4" long mag box. Then the gun will hold two in the magazine and one in the chamber. I have done 14 rifles in 7STW,.300 RUM, and .338 edge and they feed fine. A small amount of grinding on the rear of the ejection port will help with trouble free ejection of loaded ammo.You can use the Wyatt cfe-9 mag box or make your own.

The more I think about it I should probably just ungrade with a better 7mm rem mag barrel
I love my STW, but I think you are on to something here. I had mine done when the STW was the cat's meow and I just had to have one. I would probably not make the change in today's environment when good brass is hard to come by and burning 20% more powder for a 10% velocity gain no longer makes sense.

Ok that sounds good. I would assume maybe a box and floor plate for a 300 win mag might work?? And a 300 win mag stock?
Remington did nothing different with the magazine for their STW than they did for the .300 Win Mag. Those mag boxes are the same length and use the same follower and spring. Brass is hard to come by these days. Make no mistake, the 7STW is a formatable round. A good substitute, where brass is available at least part of the time, is the 7 Weatherby Mag. Peterson makes runs of that occasionally. It's a step up from the & Rem Mag and with 150g is the equal in velocity to the STW. With heavy bullets, the STW has the edge. That is where the STW and the Weatherby excel, with bullets heavier than 150g. The STW on a Rem 700 LA is a no brainer and is easily accomplished.We are both in OK, send me a PM if you wish.

Remington did nothing different with the magazine for their STW than they did for the .300 Win Mag. Those mag boxes are the same length and use the same follower and spring. Brass is hard to come by these days. Make no mistake, the 7STW is a formatable round. A good substitute, where brass is available at least part of the time, is the 7 Weatherby Mag. Peterson makes runs of that occasionally. It's a step up from the & Rem Mag and with 150g is the equal in velocity to the STW. With heavy bullets, the STW has the edge. That is where the STW and the Weatherby excel, with bullets heavier than 150g. The STW on a Rem 700 LA is a no brainer and is easily accomplished.We are both in OK, send me a PM if you wish.
The brass part isn't going to be much of a problem for a little while since I have 150 pieces of loaded and unloaded 7stw brass already plus 100+ 8mm rem mag brass.
I am really trying to weigh my options with this rifle, since I am going to rebarrel it no matter what, I either stick with the 7RM or step up to the stw