7MM STW LOADS

I use 85 grains of H-1000 in mine with 140 Accubonds and 140 Ballistic tips and it shoots them both the same. With this load I get around 3390 Average FPS out of my Rem Sendero. Make sure to start at 79 grains and work your way up not every rifle is the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You should be able to attain 3600 fps with the 140 grainers. I can launch a 180 gr Berger at 3100, 168 gr SMK at 3600. I use H-1000 and for the 180 Berger 74.5 grains, for the smk 79 grains. I think the h-1000 is not the best powder for the 140 as they are very light. I would suggest looking at 4831(sc), re-22. You may get the same velocities but with less powder.

I wouldn't suggest trying to get 3,600 ft/sec with a 140gr bullet in the 7STW. Most reloading manuals list maximum loads at about 3,400 ft/sec with the 140's.

Always double check misc. loading data with your loading manual(s). It can be risky exceeding the maximum listed loads unless you are an experienced handloader who can readily detect the early signs of excessive pressure.

Just my 2 cents - VH

Yeah the barrel is longer. I still think with proper load workups that he could obtain 3600 fps. The load data from say sierra is quite a bit off from maximum loads. I have seen upwards of 82 grains of H-1000 on some of the site on the net. This doesnt mean my gun or his gun may handle 82 grains either just means that someone has gone this high.
D-A
Did you get a turkey yet?

I've got a friend that bought a used Rem 700 with a 24" barrel. It had been redone to a 7stw from a 7 mag. It's actually a fairly light rig considering the era of manufacturing. Max loads with a barnes 140 xbt has been 3295 fps. Not real impressive but--darn thing is that everything he hits dies. (And dies real quickly with a garden hose sized hole through it). He lives in Alaska and has shot tons of carribou and a few moose with that combo. It's his only big game rifle. Like the saying goes "Don't think too little about the guy with just one gun....he most likely knows how to use it!

[ QUOTE ]
WHATS A GOOD LOAD FOR A 140GR BULLET. BALISTIC TIP.

[/ QUOTE ]
80 gr IMR 7828. Max in my rifle 3505 fps/1.5" at 300 yds accuracy stock Rem Sendero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave those velocities are FAST. I too would caution anyone from thinking that these are normal velocities achievable with a 7STW. 3600 fps with 140 grain bullets is a hot load, 3600 with a 168gr bullet is insanity. How long is your barrel? How many firings are you getting from your brass? What brass are you using?

The problem with factory loads is that the posted 3450 is like 20% below pressure signs. They load conservativly.
I have a 34 in Lilja 1:9 twist 4 groove.
The brass is rem, I dont know maybe 6 firings maybe more. I have never really counted but I dont worry to much about that as I bought 500 pieces.
If you do a search for lost river bullets I have a post on it where I go into detail over what grains of powder and what velocity was acheived.
If he worked up his loads I'm sure he could get 3500 to 3600. I used H-1000 for a lot of my stw loadings but I have switched to other powders. I think Re-22 was like the hottest and didnt get good accuracy out of it.
Its cool if he doesnt want to use my load suggestions, its a dangerous game loading and one should always work up loads even the ones suggested in the books.
I have seen more insane loadings on some of the other websites that I know are HOT loads. I dont get pressure signs with 74.5 grains of H-1000 and the Berger 180 grainers. I am pushing them at 3100 fps and am sure I could probably go to say 78 grains and be ok. I think I figured it up once in my gun that for every grain equals like 41 fps so maybe I could touch 3300 fps.
I have also been to Williamsport where fellas beat the bolt open and the primers fall out and the case is done and its bascially a one case rifle. Course they are doing some crazy stuff too, 3400 fps with 240 grain smk.

Dave a 34" barrel would certainly make a difference between a 26" factory barrel. My point was to ensure that no one reading this thread runs out and tries to get the velocity you are getting using an extra 10" of barrel.

I have never shot factory ammo in any of my guns but if it is like most factory ammo the actual velocity listed vs factory listed velocity is about 50-100fps slower. I have seen this in several guns from different ammo manufacturers. The guns were .22-.250, .260, .300 Win, and .300 Ultra. The 300 Win was Winchester loaded rounds and the rest was Rem. Is this scientific proof, no way, just my limited findings.

I do not think it is reasonable to expect 3500-3600 fps from a 140gr bullet using a 26" factory or custom barrel. I have loaded for 4 different 7STWs. Two have been custom jobs and the two others were factory.

BE SAFE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In one of my my 7 STW's, I shoot 83.0g of R#22,
Win case ONLY, Fed 215, 140g Nos/Win Combined Tec bullet producing clover leaf groups that measures in the high .300.

This one heck of a bullet for big deer! My brother shot a 360lb white tail at 460 yards in Kansas dropping him right where he stood. He has since killed 12 deer with this combo, ranges from 50 yards to 375 yards.

I shoot 86.0g of R#22 in the Win case with the 120g Nos BT, and it flattens deer right where they are standing. I hope to try the Barnes Tripple shock with this load later on in the Spring.

Warning: Remm brass is very soft, use only Win cases in this cartridge.

Work up to these loads in your rifle, your rifles are different than mine!

Well your in luck then because my wife has a factory stw. It can be done and done safe as long as you watch for pressure signs. I load her 168 smk to 3400 fps.
But I do understand what your saying and yes people should nto expect to get the same velocites as others especially when they are talking an extra 10 inches of barrel. My wifes gun just happens to accept that velocity without pressure signs. He may not get good accuracy either, the fastest load may not be the most accurate. Although it seems that the Berger's and the SMK's enjoy as fast a speed as you can get with regards to accuracy.
Dave

My lilja barreled Mark Bansner built 26" STW will do 3550 w/140 and 86gr. of H1000, any more and I start to get ejector pin marks and slightly stiff bolt lift.
JS

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.