7mm stw info request

Dean2506

I am in the process of building a 7mm stw with a 30 in bbl 1 in 9 twist. I am looking at several different bullets to try and want some real world experience from any one here who has tried them.
140 and 168 grain berger
140 and 160 accubond
139 and 162 sst
162 amax

I have ran these bullets in ballistic calcs. and with the velocities expected the 140s are flatter and have close to the same drift values out to 1000 yds. The energy is also only slightly better with the heavier bullets. velocity used in calculation was 3600 for 140 and 3300 with 160. Im not looking for opinions just actual experience from other shooters.

I have shot most of those bullets in my 7 STW's. There is very little difference between the 140 berger and 168 berger out to 800 yards in windage but the 140 shoots a bit flatter. Beyond that the 168 takes over. The 162 Amax shoots best in mine at long range but it is a fragile bullet when hitting game and shouldn't be used on anything bigger than deer and antelope. The 160 accubond is an excellent big game bullet but is a little more wind drift at long range. I have also taken quite a bit of game with the 139 and 162 sst's and they kill deer-antelope size game like lightning.

I just need more info to help you. What are you going to be hunting with it and at what ranges. Like I said I have had the best luck long range with the 162 Amax but don't use it on anything bigger than deer, antelope, caribou type critters. If you include elk then the 160 accubond, Swift scirroco or Barnes ttsx bullets do best and you just suffer a little with the bc. But the main thing is to have a bullet that will do well and kill the elk at the shot angle you are presented with. A great bc isn't going to do you any good if you just hit the elk and lose it. With the 30" barrel you could push the 180 berger pretty good for extreme long range shooting.

Just give us more info.

I will be using the rifle primarily for long range deer and i am planning a pronghorn hunt for the fall. I will hopefully get to hunt elk also in the near future. I am planning on using it for deer out to 1000 yds. Thanks for the info.

For the deer and antelope I think you will like the 162 amax. When you do the long range elk the 180 Berger would be better. If you keep your elk shots to 800 and closer you can use a premium hunting bullet like the 160 accubond or Barnes ttsx and the lower bc is not going to be that great a factor. But you will have a quality big game bullet hitting the elk which is important.

When you go beyond 800 or so yards on anything the heavy, high bc bullets are going to be better than the 140's. I have shot the 140's quite a bit in the past for flat shooting on deer-antelope out to 800 or so. I have quite a few guns with specialized loads to accomodate many hunting situations. For a one bullet do all out to a 1000 the 168 berger is good. It is a better hunting bullet than the 162 Amax because it holds together better. I am just not a fan of hunting elk with them unless you wait for that broadside high shoulder shot and are good enough to make that shot. But for a one bullet do all from deer to elk out to 1000 yards the 168 and 180 berger are probably your best choices.

Again drop back to 800 on the elk and the premium big game bullets are better. Then use the 162 Amax or 168 Berger for the deer to any range you can hit one. Many prefer the premium big game bullets on elk at any range and just deal with a little more windage and drop. Remember ballistic tables and big game hunting are two different things. The bullet has got to perform when it hits the game and ballistic tables can not show that. One bullet may show a great advantage of energy at long range however if it does not perform well on game you haven't gained anything.

I have an stw and my brother does also i shoot the 180 bergers, my brother the 168s he killed deer and antelope with his and the bullets performed great, shots were at 550 and 625 both dead real fast. I cant wait to dump some critters this fall with the 180s to see how they do. My experience with bergers and animals past 500yds have all been good, try them out!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.