7mm stw grizzly load

Hey guys. I'll be hunting interior grizz in Alaska this fall. They are North Slope bears so not giants. I do a ton of bear black bear hunting in lower 48 and my 160 grain accubond out of my stw do the trick. im thinking of loading a 175 eldx or 180 grain Berger but just curious what you guys think would be best round for grizz. I'm pretty new to reloading so sorry for sounding clueless.

I would stay away from the Berger ,they open up to fast and if you hit a shoulder that's were it stops. Noslers are good ,people have used them for years , I have used Speer Grandslams on Kodiak and will be there this spring trying for a giant . I also like Barnes, have used them on every thing and they work great. Break bones and hold together. Find a premium bullet that shoots well out of your rifle ,175 gr if you can get they .

Not that it matters much but the last grizzly I shot I killed him with 150gr Lapua Scenars. These bullets started out at about 3180 FPS. He was only about 100 yards, first shot went through both lungs and exited and the second shot he had turned and was running away, bullet traveled up behind the last rib and out of the muscle on the far shoulder and exited also. He probably went no farther than 20 yards and it was over. None of the holes in the hide were big but I opened him up after I got the hide off and there was significant damage to his lungs. He was a fairly large Brooks Range bear. I didn't specifically go out to hunt bears with this bullet he was taken on a sheep hunt but I wouldn't be afraid to use them again in a similar situation. I think the Partition, A-Frame, TSX, and the Trophy Bonded core bullets would be what I used if a bear was what I was specifically after but still there's no replacement for shot placement. I also like to be as close as possible.

I personally would chose a bullet with at least 175 grains and bonded or partitioned like the Swift A Frame or the Nosler. what I would want would be a tough bullet that would stay together but would expand after entry. Ballistic Coefficient is not an issue at distances needed/required for the big bears,

The stw is capable of good energy's and velocity But for dangerous game I always recommend staying away from "Max" loads and full length sizing in case you need a follow up shot and don't wan't to chance a stuck case or some other disaster. I would load hard but not to hard.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Ive had really good luck on the 175 in the STW for moose ! I've killed 4 with the STW and they have not gove over 10 yards after being shot ! I really like the stw and the velocity it produces !

I can't comment from personal experience, i.e., with respect to how well the 7mm will preform for your intended use, however, I can say that my 7mm Rem Mag shoots a 175 gr. Swift A-Frame incredibly well. I typically shoot groups in the .300's at 100 yards and have recovered those bullets in the back-stop and albeit not an animal, they hold together incredibly well. I'm loading those rounds with H4831 SC at just over 2700 fps. The advice from others is consistent with what I would give, choose a well made bullet.

Just a quick confession. I recently found a forum entry from a gun writer that I really respect from years ago about bullets for brown bears and he stated that in his experience, the A-Frame was not a tougher bullet than the Partition. He stated, news to me, that even though the front of the A-Frame was bonded, the rear, behind the Partition, was not. Further stated that the partition and rear portion of the jacket on the A-Frame was thinner than on the Partition and he has seen separation on the rear portion of the bullets. That being my new understanding, I'm now undecided between them and Partitions. I've killed a bunch of critters with Partitions and it was always my understanding that the A-Frames were an upgrade to them as far as penetration goes. Now I'm thinking that the only drawback to the Partitions might be the devastating entrance wounds messing up my bear pelt!

Do yourself a favor (and the guide) Leave the 7STW at home and step up to the 30 cal for griz, at least a 300 Win Mag, loaded with 180-200 gr Swift A-Frame bullets, I refuse to take hunters with 7mm anything even for moose, just too many bears around to be undergunned and hate the idea of having to pump multiple shots into game, should ALWAYS be one and done ....

forget the Berger Hunting/Hybrid and Hornady ELDX-M bullets, while they do work and have been used successfully on griz and moose in 30 and 338 cal, you have to have an absolute perfect shot with zero margin for error and that is just not wise on a close quarters griz hunt, guides aren't too happy to go searching for a wounded bear in the last hour of light , or anytime of the day ..... or ever

Way back in the early '70's when I was looking for an elk gun, I was told by three different elk guides I called that they had seen more wounded elk with a 7mm RM than any other caliber. Mostly because the owners didn't shoot them enough to become familiar with their rifles, and weren't used to the ballistics or the recoil. That's what convinced me to get the .338 WM. That, combined with the Partition bullets makes (I think) an awesome elk & bear gun. I never did get the chance for the bear but did get my elk, so I'm glad I got what I did.
Cheers,
crkckr

Just a quick confession. Now I'm thinking that the only drawback to the Partitions might be the devastating entrance wounds messing up my bear pelt!

I guess I'd rather have the bear's pelt messed up, instead of mine.

Personally I wouldn't hunt elk with less than my Ruger M77 in .300 Win Mag, bears or no bears. When in Alaska I take my Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger, because there are bears present...BIG bears.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.