7mm STW bullet for Elk

powermax

likely has been discussed a million times, I'll start a fresh discussion..

my first elk hunt is coming up, I'm a 7mm STW shooter using Berger 168 gr VLD for deer, the outfitter I'm using said most of his clients shoot @250 yrd. max 400yd

I'd like some advise from experienced elk hunters, should i work up a new load with different bullets or run with my whitetail load?
this load has a long OAL and don't fit in my magazine, a drawback when needing a follow up shot..

sorry I tend to sweat the small stuff..

I would agree with 257T, but I have killed two elk with muzzle loaders, and you could easily load faster for repeated shots than I could. And while I have taken more than 1 shot to kill an elk those, I have shot I could have finished with a single shot rifle.
And your caliber and bullet should work on an elk.

I like the VLD, especially if shots are going to go over 500 yards. The last elk I killed with my STW was using the 150gr Swift Sirocco at about 80 yards. It worked great. It should give plenty of performance out to 500 yards. The newer Nosler 175gr ABLR might also be a good option for inside 300 yards where you might want a tougher bullet.

IMHO your bullet will work fine. As always, shot placement is key. When I used to shoot my 7 STW the 140s claimed many head of elk. I have also taken a few with my 257 STW with the berger 115. While I don`t recommend using anything that light, I was hunting deer with an elk tag in my pocket as well. I will say again "shot placement" As far as the single shot goes, I hunted successfully for over 20 years with a Ruger #1 so not an issue. I carried 2 rounds in my shirt pocket for easy access, and if shooting from a prone or sitting position would just lay them next to me before taking the shot. Just my .02

I also have a bolt rifle that is single feed due to COAL

IMHO your bullet will work fine. As always, shot placement is key. When I used to shoot my 7 STW the 140s claimed many head of elk. I have also taken a few with my 257 STW with the berger 115. While I don`t recommend using anything that light, I was hunting deer with an elk tag in my pocket as well. I will say again "shot placement" As far as the single shot goes, I hunted successfully for over 20 years with a Ruger #1 so not an issue. I carried 2 rounds in my shirt pocket for easy access, and if shooting from a prone or sitting position would just lay them next to me before taking the shot. Just my .02

I also have a bolt rifle that is single feed due to COAL
Thank you kindly for the confirmation, 100% agree shot placement is key, i never hunted elk but can see that a adrenaline rush could mess with shot placement

The bullet you speak of has killed many game animals including elk with that said It would not be my first choice for the ranges you stated I would be looking at an Accubond 160 or one of the Hammer bullets or even a Barnes as you may not have an ideal shot and myself I would want a bullet that I would be confident would go stem to stern.

The bullet you speak of has killed many game animals including elk with that said It would not be my first choice for the ranges you stated I would be looking at an Accubond 160 or one of the Hammer bullets or even a Barnes as you may not have an ideal shot and myself I would want a bullet that I would be confident would go stem to stern.
JMW67 was looking at the Hammer bullets, i might get a sample pack to see how they shoot, thank you for the recommendation! 👍

Thank you kindly for the confirmation, 100% agree shot placement is key, i never hunted elk but can see that a adrenaline rush could mess with shot placement
Most assuredly it can! Just try to calm yourself, take a few breaths and focus. Rushing the shot is the recipe for a wounded, or lost animal. I know its tough to gather yourself sometimes. After close to 40 elk in my life, I still get the rush...... Just after the animal folds. Then! comes the crash of realizing now I have to pack this thing out of here! Lol Good Hunting

As a side note; I shoot Berger exclusively anymore. I have shot many of the bullets people love (except hammers) and they all for the most part work as advertised. I just prefer the Berger performance at distance

Last edited:
Call them and let them know your plans and the twist rate of your rifle they are very helpful and will put you on the right track if you decide to go that route

Killed my last bull with a 160 Partition, out of my 7stw.

Easily substitute a 160ab and not look back

Attachments

• 2012-12-18_17-40-04_267.jpg
    2012-12-18_17-40-04_267.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 42