7mm STW build

Hello all,
I have decided to build a Stevens 200 and am deciding between 7mm Remington magnum and if possible a 7 mm STW. My question is if I buy a Stevens 200 7mm Remington magnum can I rebarrel it in 7 mm STW? Is the bolt head the same and is the magazine long enough? Would it be better to stick with the 7 mm Remington magnum? Thanks for your thoughts

You will gather more helpful comments and suggestions if you repost your question in the 7mm Stw Brotherhood site on the forum.

I recommend a 28 inch barrel the best you can afford with a quality muzzle brake in 7 stw. with either 1-8 or 1-9 twist.

set up for long range the right way will give you much happiness for years to come.

happy new year
odavid

The Stevens 200 mag box is too short for a full length H&H case.
I put together a 7 STW on a Stevens 200 about 2 years ago. When I tried to find a full length mag box from Savage to swap in I found out that Savage had stopped making them a few years prior and they were no longer available. So I cut the Stevens box and lengthened it to about 3.8+". Then I milled the receiver to fit. Don't get to carried away on length as the bolt stop has to be modified to allow for the longer bolt throw and the bolt stop also holds the firing pin back until released by the trigger. I had to cut a slot on the rear face of the bolt baffle and shorten the bolt stop to allow for the 3.8+" box to function properly.
When I was done everything functioned great and the rifle shoots very well.
It's not an easy modification, but with some planning and the right tools it can be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.