7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

On whitetail it may be better to go down in weight? Another guy on here was using matrix bullets and they were like 123 or 130 something. I read that may be the ticket on whitetail.

Let me tell yall about 168gr bergers and twigs. They dont mix. I hunted tonight and a nice doe came out and i didnt think that a twig as big around as a small pin would throw my bullet off, but it did. I thought i hit her, but since it hit the twig it threw the bullet low and she mule kicked. I know that at 100 yards that she would have dropped where she stood with these bullets. So when your using your STW in the brush, opt to a brush bullet LOL.

I definitely agree with the comment "dead is dead". However my experience with Accubonds on elk is that they make it through the near side rib cage and then totally disintegrate leaving no exit wound. These are the most consistently accurate bullet that I've shot. Wild game is too important to my diet to loose a front quarter because my bullet blew up.

I have had very good luck with the new Barnes TTSX on moose and elk in both .338 caliber and .30 caliber. This is on shots from 30 yards to over 400 yards. All kills have been pass throughs and all bullets
have expanded leaving at least a twice the caliber exit wound.

I purchased some 168 gr. 7mm Barnes LRX bullets for my STW but so far I have not found any load data.
I reluctantly used 160 gr. Accubonds this season with the same explosive performance, DRT but lots of wasted meat.

I shot a cow moose this fall, with a 160 gr accubond. It blew clean through, 2-3 inch exit wound. Took out bought lungs, she went about 50 yards and piled up.
There wasn't 2 ounces of meat ruined. Perfect performance in my eyes. This is my only experience with the accubonds on game, and maybe I got lucky. Distance was approx. 250 yards, so impact velocity would be around 2750 fps.
I did however keep my shot placement back off the front shoulders, and in the ribcage, low enough to stay away front the loins and tenderloins. I too hunt for meat, and this shot placement rarely hurts any meat. It doesn't very often result in DRT, but does result in Dead Very Close.

I have found that the all copper bullets do not leave the big blood shot mess for some reason. I use 140 gr TSX'S for short range and 140gr. CT's for long range. I have shot deer from 30 feet to 550 yards with the jacketed bullet performing better at the long range.
Brush

I just bought some 140 grain Barnes original x's, how are they on game?

I shot a deer at 430 Yds. that facing me with a little side showing with that bullet. It went in at left side base of the neck and came out the flank in front of the rear leg.I had to chase him for ahalf mile before shooting him again. That is why I only use them for short range,they are not like a bomb going of at shot range.
Brush

Mr.Brush, would the Barnes original perform the same as ttsx ir tsx? And at what distancevand velocity? There seems to be more science involved than I understand. Field experience takes time to gather right.

Mr.Brush, would the Barnes original perform the same as ttsx ir tsx? And at what distancevand velocity? There seems to be more science involved than I understand. Field experience takes time to gather right.
Ed, Everything I Have shot with the TSX In every Cal I have shot them in has perfomed awesome.....Just talked to 7stw and he just took a deer with the TTsx and he said he is hooked on them now I shot a deer last year at just over 370 it never took a step

Popped this guy while he was on the run at 200 yards. 162gr A-Max, DRT. No exit. Inside spread was 19 1/2". Lousy cell phone pic.

Deer2012.jpg

I just bought some 140 grain Barnes original x's, how are they on game?
My Dad shot a deer with an original x ( a 140 from an stw with rl22 under it)years ago when they were new. The thing went 100 yards with its lungs hanging out. He still swears he hit another one and it just kept going. Hit bone if you want those to open well.

Maybe the Ttsx's will perform better at long range than the original Tsx's. It will be my go to bullet because I am allmost out of the originals. I am allso waiting to see how " 7MM STW " does with the 145LRX's.
Brush