7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Well another deer met its fate at the hands of a 7stw and 162 grain amax. I let a buddy of mine shoot one this evening at 585 yds DRT. As is the norm for everyone I have let shoot it one of his first phrases was " I gotta get one of those". I giggle like a little girl when I watch one of my buddies shoot one over 500 and see the look on their face. He also told me it doesnt really seam fair. :D

Dean, love the quote " giggle like a little girl". I'm glad to hear that another one bit the dirt for ya, and also, that you used a 162 A-Max. One of mine shoots them like a lazer, but I've been hesitant to try them on game. I have gotten mixed reports as to what they do on the terminal end. But, boy do they shoot!!!! And I've heard the phrase, man " I'm getting one of these , but ASAP" many times, especially at the range. But, in the final analalysis, the shot your buddy made was with your gun, and your load development. But Kudos on the trigger man too!!
For future experiments, what was you load, and velocity, just curious. Take care Dean, and Happy Turkey Day.

Well, crappy hunting year here. Few deer, and they are really out and running. A lot of posted land in the unit I got stuck in also. 600+ yard full run on whitetail seemed to be the norm. I'm cleaning the 7stw as I write this. My 300 win may get a chance next weekend as I shoot running critters rather well with it.
More load developement with 140 grain and attemping to get serious accuracy with accubonds or sierra at 3400 fps and change will be on the agenda. If I can't get her (the rem)going my way, I'll convert a lh a-bolt to 7stw and start over. I really need to get the time of flght down more than I care about 1000 yard + accuracy for he running deer shooting I seem to always get into.

Hey guys, I'm just getting started on getting a load going for my stw and would like any input you may have. I started reading the thread, but after about 45 pages I gave up. I bought the rifle a while ago because I have always liked the sound of the cartridge, any M70 is welcome in my safe, and this one had an above average piece of wood. I recently gained access to some hunting land that will allow for the longer shots, so I finally have an excuse to use this beauty :D

My rifle is a Winchester M70 classic sporter (unfired) wearing a Leupold VX-II 6-18x and a 26" barrel. I've got 100 pieces of new RP brass, Fed 215 primers, H1000 , and some Berger 168 VLD's. I'm ready to load, I would prefer have a good starting point instead of chase my tail in circles burning up materials and my barrel trying to find the right load. I've got load info from Berger and have read about figuring out how much jump a particular rifle prefers with these bullets. If anyone would like to share their load with these 168's and H1000 I would love to hear them.

Hunting Report and update.

Well I'm back from hunting in West Virginia and my Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW did not disappoint me.

I went hunting yesterday morning at my Parent's Farm and I shot this 6 point buck at 8:00 am.

It was only an 86 yard shot so it did not test my latest shooting skills. The rack is somewhat small but the buck had a big body and it must have weighted at least 175 pounds.

The last picture is my Dad and the buck.

Attachments

• Buck & Me Farmhouse2.jpg
    Buck & Me Farmhouse2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Buck Farmhouse2.jpg
    Buck Farmhouse2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Buck & Pop Farmhouse2.jpg
    Buck & Pop Farmhouse2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Today my Dad and I went to his hunting club and were hunting out of his 20ft high treestand.

I was able to test my shooting skills here because this doe was 230 yards out (checked with my Leica 1200 rangefinder). My Dad told me that since I was shooting so good these days that he insisted on a neck shot at the doe. My Dad was looking through my Swarovski Binoculars at her and when I pulled the trigger she dropped like she was hit by lightning!

I was very pleased with the shot and you can see by the picture I hit her in the lower neck.

I hope everyone else that is hunting or going hunting has a great time like I did and create wonderful hunting memories with your Dad or Children or Family.

Attachments

• Doe 230 yards.jpg
    Doe 230 yards.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Pop & Doe 230-2.jpg
    Pop & Doe 230-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 14
Today my Dad and I went to his hunting club and were hunting out of his 20ft high treestand.

I was able to test my shooting skills here because this doe was 230 yards out (checked with my Leica 1200 rangefinder). My Dad told me that since I was shooting so good these days that he insisted on a neck shot at the doe. My Dad was looking through my Swarovski Binoculars at her and when I pulled the trigger she dropped like she was hit by lightning!

I was very pleased with the shot and you can see by the picture I hit her in the lower neck.

I hope everyone else that is hunting or going hunting has a great time like I did and create wonderful hunting memories with your Dad or Children.
Nice Shootin Bro .....Glad to see your Dad is still at it

I hope everyone else that is hunting or going hunting has a great time like I did and create wonderful hunting memories with your Dad or Children or Family.

Gamehawker, glad you got some meat hanging from the pole. Tell your dad that I love his hat and sweater, Awesome!!!
I knew you were going to smoke something in VA. That place is eat up with deer. And nice shot on the doe. That's a decent body size on that buck as well. Every body says the deer are small in MD, and VA. Well let them keep right on thinking that. Like my other brother said, glad you got to spend some time with dad, that is priceless, and worth more than the biggest buck in the woods!!! Keep up the good work.
I will be on my way to MD Thursday nite!!! Can't wait. Happy Thanksgiving buddy.

Hey guys, I'm just getting started on getting a load going for my stw and would like any input you may have. I started reading the thread, but after about 45 pages I gave up. I bought the rifle a while ago because I have always liked the sound of the cartridge, any M70 is welcome in my safe, and this one had an above average piece of wood. I recently gained access to some hunting land that will allow for the longer shots, so I finally have an excuse to use this beauty :D

My rifle is a Winchester M70 classic sporter (unfired) wearing a Leupold VX-II 6-18x and a 26" barrel. I've got 100 pieces of new RP brass, Fed 215 primers, H1000 , and some Berger 168 VLD's. I'm ready to load, I would prefer have a good starting point instead of chase my tail in circles burning up materials and my barrel trying to find the right load. I've got load info from Berger and have read about figuring out how much jump a particular rifle prefers with these bullets. If anyone would like to share their load with these 168's and H1000 I would love to hear them.

Stuffisgood, first and foremost, Welcome to the Brotherhood!!! You are in good company here, and info is always flying around on load data, and useful tips and experiences.
It sounds like to me you are well equipped in the gun and scope department, and reloading supplies as well. I was shooting the 168 Berger for a while, but have switched to the Barnes TTSX, TSX, and LRX. The H1000 is a great powder, and your primer selection is perfect. If the 1000 dosen't do the trick, try RL 25, and the same primer you are using. A few of us here have turned to the 25' and have had really good luck with it. It seems as though the speed is better, and more consistent, and pressures are lower.
Your load OAL is going to be in the 3.630 area, as the Winchester box is a little shorter than the the Remys, but believe me, it is no handicap. I to have a Winchester. Mine is a Custom Sharpshooter, and shoots like a dream. Mine will shoot 160 Grand Slams into a knot with 78.0 grains of 25, @ 3.630 all day long. But my load for that gun is 82.0- RL 25-140 partition, with a 215 GM primer. It shoots less than an inch at 200 yards.
You are going to fall in love with this bullet after you figure out what it wants to be fed. I have been shooting this round for about 16 years, and it still gives me goosebumps. But deer don't like it worth a ****!!!!
The Berger info is a good starting point, however it may be a little conservative. I'm thinking if you start around 78-79 grains, that will get you there, and watch for pressure signs, and of course your targets. A chrono is a huge help if you have one. If you don't, get one!! Otherwise you are shooting in the dark. Keep in touch. There are lots of good folks here to help you out a long the way. Nice score!!!!