7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7Stw. I like your results with the 145 lrx bullets and was wondering what you thought of that bullet and load on whitetail out to say 600-900 yards or would say the 168grn be better at those distances ? I'm a speed freek and like flat trajectory but not sure if 145grn is enough at those longer distances. What do you think ? Yes I'm speaking of a
7mm Stw.

Well, I to am speed demon of sorts myself. That being said, speed does kill, IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BULLET!!!!!!! I believe that I have a bullet that will strike like lightning , penetrate, pass through, and DRT. I am yet to drop the hammer on game with it, but will soon.
I got a interesting bit of info from " Barnesuser", and his closing comment was that the bullet doesnt run out of fatal energy until 1000 yards. With these barnes bullets, you must have a certain speed to to enable it to open up. He assured me that out to 1000 yards, it would do it's thing. That's impressive to me, but I'm not a 1000 yrd shooter. Maybe from a perfect bench, and front rest, but not my usual setup in the field where I hunt. I do have a spot that the shot may be 650 or so. :D

.694? Barnes 168gr LRX is listed at .550

And 7STW--You can't say neat stuff like that, and not share the recipe!!!!

Black sheep, you are to **** funny!!!! ( neat stuff!!!!!!)
My " formula is as follows, and standard disclaimer applies obviously.
82.0 - RL25 - 145 LRX @ 3.687 coal. 215 GM.
Now comes the interesting part. My original load was using federal brass, and my velocity ave was 3414.
I loaded some once fired, FL resized ASquare brass that I had put away. Went to the range, with chrono in hand, with intent of checking speed on my 300 win mag, which is my back up.
I shot some of the A Square brass loads, @ 200. My ave velocity was 3440, low ES also. I accidentally deleted the string when went to do a summary, so I did not see the SD. The ES was was low, as I remember the numbers, and they hovered around 3442' 3439, 3440, etc. My buddy was behind me watching the numbers, and couldn't believe the speed, and the consistency. I was charmed go sat the least.
I am not changing anything, and this is my load. I actually use the same load with the 140 TSX, TTSX as well. I am tickled pink so far, as I have had to do a " regroup" from my setup from last year. I mean I had to change everything.
I really like the RL25 powder, and love these LRX bullets. These are both new to me, and my confidence level is high, as I've done a lot of homework and testimonial searches before I put this together. If you try this load, I'm sure that it or any variant from it will be a winner. FWIW, I have absolutely NO pressure signs at all. Two finger extraction, no problem. Pockets remain tight, no plunger marks, no shiny spots.
Hope this helps, and good luck to you my friend, and to all the " Brothers" as well.
We really do have a pretty good " clan " here!!!! :Dlightbulb

Scope issue? I went to the range with my new scope today mounted in some Leupold rings. I tightened it down, no torque wrench and first shot 3" low at 25 yds. Rather than shoot 3, I adjusted the elevation and shot 2 more at 100 yds, same hole 1/2" now right of bullseye. So the scope thus far adjusts ok. I moved the target to 200, and shot 5 shots, about 1" right and 4" high, no adjustments. Looking at the scope after, it looks like it may have slipped back a 1/2" towards me. I am going to loosen it and try to determine if it looks like it moved. What is your guess?

Ed, it certainly sound like you slipped in the mount. Hers something that I do that keeps that from happening
In the bottom ring, , I put a piece of electrical tape, or a thin stipulate of rubberized bonding tape. It actually does two things. It prevents ring marks, and provides a grip also for the scope and the rings.
Everything else seems ok. I usually put a BIG target out at 100 yds, yank the bolt, bag the gun, and put the bore on the target. Adjust the scope until both are the same. Fire a shot. You should be on the paper. Adjust as needed.
Hope that helps. Take care.

Well, I to am speed demon of sorts myself. That being said, speed does kill, IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BULLET!!!!!!! I believe that I have a bullet that will strike like lightning , penetrate, pass through, and DRT. I am yet to drop the hammer on game with it, but will soon.
I got a interesting bit of info from " Barnesuser", and his closing comment was that the bullet doesnt run out of fatal energy until 1000 yards. With these barnes bullets, you must have a certain speed to to enable it to open up. He assured me that out to 1000 yards, it would do it's thing. That's impressive to me, but I'm not a 1000 yrd shooter. Maybe from a perfect bench, and front rest, but not my usual setup in the field where I hunt. I do have a spot that the shot may be 650 or so. :D
Sorry for posting here because i dont have a 7stw but i would also like to add that when impact velocity is below 2000 fps that hitting bone is preferred because it will help the bullet expand and create a wider wound from the bone fragments, making up for the less hydrostatic shock, resulting in a quicker kill.

Where would I start with RL-25. I have been using 82grs. of RL-22 with a 140gr. bullet with great results(case life is 2 maybe three firings but I don't care). I had my 7mmSTW built in 1990 by H-S Precision but the barrel is showing signs that it might want to retire like me. I have some RL-25 so I am game to try it.
Thanks,Brush

PS: I didn't buy a race horse to pull a plow

Brush, I love your closing comment. The load you are using seems to be a good one. I use that formula with 140 TTSX, and 145 LRX bullets. Read my previous reply for specifics. I like the RL 25 , and have been great velocity and accuracy, and sped as well. Seems to burn clean, and meters well.
Take care, and enjoy.
P/ s, I have been getting a little better case life than that however. I have 4-5 loadings on some federal brass, and that brass isn't very good to begin with. Maybe back of your resizing die .010. That will help.

Black sheep, you are to **** funny!!!! ( neat stuff!!!!!!)
My " formula is as follows, and standard disclaimer applies obviously.
82.0 - RL25 - 145 LRX @ 3.687 coal. 215 GM.
Now comes the interesting part. My original load was using federal brass, and my velocity ave was 3414.
I loaded some once fired, FL resized ASquare brass that I had put away. Went to the range, with chrono in hand, with intent of checking speed on my 300 win mag, which is my back up.
I shot some of the A Square brass loads, @ 200. My ave velocity was 3440, low ES also. I accidentally deleted the string when went to do a summary, so I did not see the SD. The ES was was low, as I remember the numbers, and they hovered around 3442' 3439, 3440, etc. My buddy was behind me watching the numbers, and couldn't believe the speed, and the consistency. I was charmed go sat the least.
I am not changing anything, and this is my load. I actually use the same load with the 140 TSX, TTSX as well. I am tickled pink so far, as I have had to do a " regroup" from my setup from last year. I mean I had to change everything.
I really like the RL25 powder, and love these LRX bullets. These are both new to me, and my confidence level is high, as I've done a lot of homework and testimonial searches before I put this together. If you try this load, I'm sure that it or any variant from it will be a winner. FWIW, I have absolutely NO pressure signs at all. Two finger extraction, no problem. Pockets remain tight, no plunger marks, no shiny spots.
Hope this helps, and good luck to you my friend, and to all the " Brothers" as well.
We really do have a pretty good " clan " here!!!! :Dlightbulb

Hey Bob,

Do you notice a difference with higher velocity and a lower ES, SD using the 215 GM primers instead of just the standard 215 magnum primers?

I got a 1000 count box of 215 GM primers recently and thinking about switching to them for my loads.

I also heard that some people get a lower ES and SD using just standard 210 primers when reloading for their 7mm STW.

Thanks!

Hey Bob,

Do you notice a difference with higher velocity and a lower ES, SD using the 215 GM primers instead of just the standard 215 magnum primers?

I got a 1000 count box of 215 GM primers recently and thinking about switching to them for my loads.

I also heard that some people get a lower ES and SD using just standard 210 primers when reloading for their 7mm STW.

Thanks!

I am told, and was told by a rep from federal, that the difference between the standard 215" and the GM 215 is consistentcy. There is no difference in the heat at all. That being said, and if my memory serves me right, yes the loads with the " GM " suffix have shown lower SD, ES. I can say the same for CCI 200, and the bench rest primers too. I have a new batch of the 215 GM primers, and in what I have shot them into of recent" seems " to be on the better side. But in all actuality, you would have to do a " A- B" test, with the only variable being the 215' and the 215 GM.
As far as the use of standard primers, to lower ES, and SD, this has been my experience. There is a rule of thumb, ( but not etched in stone), that a standard primer can be used in a cartridge with up to 80 grains, and still get good ignition. Now, if I were to play that game, my choice would NOT be the 210 however. The hottest standard primer is the Winchester WLR, hands down.
I have a 700 p in seven mag, that I run the WLR primer into, and it is unbelievable the accuracy, and low ES, SD that I get from that rifle. Some say that the cutoff is 70 grains, some say 80. Moreover, it is really the powder type you are trying to light. Additionally, temperature would come into play as well. To figure that out, you would have to do a " R and D" session to see. My cousin uses WLR primers in his 300 win mag, and has had no problems. He is using IMR 4350 powder, which is relatively easy to ignite. I guess a trial and error session would be the real tell tale my friend.

P/ S, LESS than three weeks and counting. Bags are packed!!!!!

I read online somewhere afew years back that the 215 GM could reduce your group size by half. I think most long range shooters use it around here.
I heard great things about the now discontinued Winchester Mag primer, my friend loved it in his 7mm08 using ball powder.
RWS also make great primers.

Well the STW strikes again. I took my nephew out for the youth hunt this weekend and he killed an eight point at 50 yds and a doe at 509 yds.

Hmmmmmm, two shots, two kills, good average. Good job Dean. Is your hunting season over?
How was the eight pointer?
Take care, and congrats!!
P/ S, what was your load ?

The eight point was about an 80 inch deer but not bad for a 15 year old that doesnt get to hunt much. My season is just starting I have been spending most my time letting my kids and nephew fill their tags. They all want to use my "cannon". My son and nephew want me to build them one just like mine.

My load is 162 Amax over RL 25 @ 3290 fps.

The eight point was about an 80 inch deer but not bad for a 15 year old that doesnt get to hunt much. My season is just starting I have been spending most my time letting my kids and nephew fill their tags. They all want to use my "cannon". My son and nephew want me to build them one just like mine.

My load is 162 Amax over RL 25 @ 3290 fps.

Good deal. Congrats on taking the kids, and letting them shoot the Cannon!!!

I had mine built last year. I absolutely love it. Since having mine built I have let a couple of friends shoot it and one had one built and another is having one built. Mine likes anything I shoot through it and my goto load is 162 amax over 79 gr rl 25 at 3300 fps.

Specs are:
Broughton 5c 1 in 9 light palma contour finished at 30 in before muzzle brake
Remington 700 action blueprinted trigger set at 2 lbs
Remington lss stock glass bedded
Leupold vxIII 4.5x14x40 cds

I used it to harvest a deer at 570 yds DRT
A buddy used it on a 150 yd headshot...NASTY
Another buddy used it to shoot a deer at 817 yds. It flopped then staggered about 60 yds before collapse.

600 yds three shots 1 inch squares

photobucket-3348-1319593483455.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Dean,

I saw one of your first post on this thread and your pictures of your "cannon" and what it does at 600 yards.

Both are quite impressive! :)

Congrats on the kills!

Where would I start with RL-25. I have been using 82grs. of RL-22 with a 140gr. bullet with great results(case life is 2 maybe three firings but I don't care). I had my 7mmSTW built in 1990 by H-S Precision but the barrel is showing signs that it might want to retire like me. I have some RL-25 so I am game to try it.
Thanks,Brush

PS: I didn't buy a race horse to pull a plow
7stw is hinting you are a bit stout pressure wise at 82 grains of r22 with a 140. I haven't seen an stw myself that would tolerate getting hit like that. I'm running 77 grains of rl22 in my rifle when I shoot 140's, my Dad is shooting 78 grains. If you back down to 79 or 80 you'll still be plenty fast and you won't be stressing out everything and tearing your barrel up quite so much.
P.S.-- going to rl25 will get you every bit of your speed back and keep you in pressure. 81-83 grains of rl25 with a 140 will do you well. My sendero shot 140 A-bonds at 3500 fps even on 83 grains rl25 before data came out. I dropped to 82 grains(win brass- 81 in rem) at 3450 fps when data came out.