7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

The7mmSTW

Welcome fellow 7mm Shooting Times Westerner shooters!gun)

This thread is for those of us who own and shoot a 7mm STW
this is where we can post our gun specs, talking about different load data, where to find our hard to come by brass, and just any other general 7mm STW knowledge

If it is your first post in this thread, lets start out by stating the specs of your 7mm STW(custom made rifles - describe all components), list scopes and other accessories on the rifle, and how long you have been with this caliber. Pictures of your setup would also be welcome

I hope this thread becomes a useful tool of information for everyone,

Enjoy,
-Matt

I am currently in the build process using a Remington 700 Action, Krieger Barrel, Bell and Carlson M40 stock, Jewell Trigger system, and for the time being it will be topped off with a Nikon Monarch 5-20 that i have laying around.(scope will be upgrade in future)

I expect to have it done early to mid April (I hope)

I'm thinking about re-stocking my 7mm stw from an HS Precision pro series sendero stock to a McMillan M40a or something similiar. If anyone can post their STW with the stock they have, I'd appreciate it. My HS precision stock is nice, but I prefer a thin area as opposed to the thicker palm swell on the HS Precision. I'll be selling the stock thereafter.

I'll post my gun pics shortly. Maybe tonight. I have a stiller predator action, jewel trigger, and Broughton 26" # 5 contour sporter barrel. It's a shooter.

Also, I have a connection for brass and was thinking about doing a group buy, maybe 5000 catridges. Anyone interested in joining in?

Thanks,
Ed

WeLl, it' s about time that the brotherhood get to share a few words. I have 3 STW's. My first is a stock Sendero
that I bought when they first came out. This thing shoots like a house ' a fire. It loves 140 nosler ct.'s and 79-0 , rl22' and a 215 spark plug @ 3.660. Number two is a semi custom. It has a medium contour 27.5 hart barrel 9.25 twist. It likes 78.3-7828-150 BT, or ct. Number threes is a Sako 75. I bought it on Christmas eve with my son with me. We ran into it by accident, and I had to have it. It was from a Sako collector. I believe it to be about 8 years old, but iwas was UNFIRED. As of now,it has about 72 rounds down the barrel. The barrel cleans up very nicely, and the trigger is SWEEEEEEET ! It so far has shown me that it does not like 140's. That's ok. But is has shown me that it prefers 160 class, whether it be 160' or 168. It REALLY likes the 162 a-Max and 76.5 - RL 22 @ 3.700 coal. I have some 160 fail safes, and if I can get her to shoot them, that wil be the cats meow. Those bullets are awesome. Also, there is a STW barrel in the classifieds here, that has me interested. It has a brake installed on it. The price is decent and I am very temped to buy it, and install it on a " donor" action that I have. Guys, I love this round. It has all of the best going for it. Good bullet selection, especially now, fast, accurate, and most of all, it is SHOOTABLE. It is about the most overbore that a seven can be. The 7 RUM, is just TOO much of a good thing, and to me, I think they are going away. Layne Simpson did it right. If I could only have ONE gun, well, you know what it would be. Last but not least, these rifles are like lightening on deer. They are the equivalent of a varmint rifle, in any set up, and shoot **** near as flat as a 22-250. And that my friends is flat. ( got one of them too, imagine that!). To all of the Brotherhood, that is my story, and I'm sticking to it!
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. :D :) 7STW.

I'm thinking about re-stocking my 7mm stw from an HS Precision pro series sendero stock to a McMillan M40a or something similiar. If anyone can post their STW with the stock they have, I'd appreciate it. My HS precision stock is nice, but I prefer a thin area as opposed to the thicker palm swell on the HS Precision. I'll be selling the stock thereafter.

I'll post my gun pics shortly. Maybe tonight. I have a stiller predator action, jewel trigger, and Broughton 26" # 5 contour sporter barrel. It's a shooter.

Also, I have a connection for brass and was thinking about doing a group buy, maybe 5000 catridges. Anyone interested in joining in?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I have the original sendero stock, without the palm swell, a modified stock from a LSS, and a synthetic on my Sako. I would like to change the stock on the Sako. The only " good " options that I have heard of are a "lone wolf" or a McMillan. Both are pricey. So, what kind of brass have you found, and what would the price be. I think the group thing is a good idea. I have 200 unfired/ premium factory ammo on hand now, but would be possibly interested if the brass is good. Thanks !
7 STW.

Welcome fellow 7mm Shooting Times Westerner shooters!gun)

This thread is for those of us who own and shoot a 7mm STW
this is where we can post our gun specs, talking about different load data, where to find our hard to come by brass, and just any other general 7mm STW knowledge

If it is your first post in this thread, lets start out by stating the specs of your 7mm STW(custom made rifles - describe all components), list scopes and other accessories on the rifle, and how long you have been with this caliber. Pictures of your setup would also be welcome

I hope this thread becomes a useful tool of information for everyone,

Enjoy,
-Matt

Found it. 7 STW

I had mine built last year. I absolutely love it. Since having mine built I have let a couple of friends shoot it and one had one built and another is having one built. Mine likes anything I shoot through it and my goto load is 162 amax over 79 gr rl 25 at 3300 fps.

Specs are:
Broughton 5c 1 in 9 light palma contour finished at 30 in before muzzle brake
Remington 700 action blueprinted trigger set at 2 lbs
Remington lss stock glass bedded
Leupold vxIII 4.5x14x40 cds

I used it to harvest a deer at 570 yds DRT
A buddy used it on a 150 yd headshot...NASTY
Another buddy used it to shoot a deer at 817 yds. It flopped then staggered about 60 yds before collapse.

600 yds three shots 1 inch squares

photobucket-3348-1319593483455.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

I like the stocks you guys have. Where might I buy one for my stw? I have a stiller action and a #5 contour Broughton sporter barrel 26". I need a magazine system too. It shoots great, but it's an STW!

I don't really like my HS precision stock or hinged bdl floorplate.

I have a jewel trigger too.

I must get a new stock!

Help...

Mine is a Remington Sendero dealer special run from 1997.I recently bought a Remington LSS stock that had been channeled out for a heavy barrel.It fit my 7mag Sendero perfectly.So now both my Senderos wear laminated stocks and they feel much better to me than the H.S. stock.

I bought a Model 70 Win Super Grade in 7STW in 1998. Being a wildlife biologist in South Texas, being able to harvest deer at long range is a necessary tool. I got over 2,000 rounds out of the first barrel before the accuracy fell below acceptable standards. I rebarreled with a 5 contour Lilja 1:9 twist finished at 28". I used to use Nikon glass, but recently topped her (Emmy, as we call her) with a 6-24x50 Sightron LRMOA. I've always shot 130 SMK's with a charge of 80 gr of 4831SC moving 3550 fps. I trade the higher BC of the larger heavier bullets for the extremely flat trajectory of this pet load. I sight in +1.75" @ 100, and from 0-400 yds, I don't have to worry about dial ups or hold overs, just center it in the shoulder and take the slack out of the Jewel. With 20.5 MOA up, I can consistently shoot 6" groups at 1K, despite the lower BC. And, this load has proven to be a brutal killer at 400-600 yards, with my furthest kills coming at 815 and 835 on consecutive shots. I have harvested over 200 deer at 400+ yds, and they rarely take a step. I'm 1 of a group of 5 loyal STW lovers that all use the same load. I often enjoy the recoil reduction in my 6.5x284 and 260 Rem, but when I head west to mule deer or elk hunt, or when I can only carry 1 rifle, there's no question which one it will be.