7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Sure.

I hunted with Trails West Outfitters in Unit 61 of Wyoming for the rifle opener. It was a pack in spike camp kind of deal. Probably about 15 miles from the trailhead. Grizzlies, wolves, mulies, black bears, moose, and a lot of elk. Saw elk riding in to camp before day 1. My buddy killed a nice one too at 9am day 1. 440yds 300 PRC 215 Berger. Perfect shot. He fell right over.

Spotted my bull day 1 while watching his bull. Went back after him on day 2. Located him right away at day break. He was in a horrible spot to get to. Took all day to hike to him. Thought he was going to feed out where we saw him go in that morning but he'd moved in the timber that day.

Luckily our high vantage was perfect. It was right at last light. He wasn't spooked at all, just feeding. I had plenty of time to get prone and get a really steady rest. Slight breeze L to R. Slight downhill. 740yds. First shot was about .5 moa low through the heart. He stumbled so I put another one through the lungs. He rolled right over which was great. We could skin him in the open instead of the timber.

I was using 180 Berger Hybrids at about 3040fps. First shot exploded his heart and passed through. Second did heavy damage internally and lodged in the offside shoulder.

We quartered him in bags and moved the meat away from the carcass. Got back to camp on foot around 11pm. Took all day of day 3 to get him off the mountain with the horses and mules. Just a tough spot to get to.

Can't state enough how great the whole experience was. I'm super lucky and fortunate to have been able to do it.

My buddies bull below.

Attachments

• IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
I've got a 1-8 26" new pac-nor barrel, I'm trying to get a good load for the 143 HH. I've been trying RL 26 and not getting the accuracy I'm looking for. I've got a couple pounds of 8133, where is a good starting point for this combo? I appreciate any help!
I don't know what year it was made but mine is 9.5 twist, so I dropped to the 131. 143's shot great with 8133 but I wanted more stability.

Sounds great!!!!

I am sitting in Dallas DFW right now trying to get back to south Texas. Been up since 3 am won't get home till after 1am from Montana.

I shot a small horned big bodied bull 4x4 with my 300 sherman mag shooting 300prc ammo. Not my STW but I'm part of this brotherhood so figured I would share. Been hunting the same area 25 years with some friends. We all tagged out on deer and elk. He was a 140 yard shot as he came offf private land.
Also shot a deer 380 yards 279 sherman short shooting 127 hammers. Blasted his both shoulders and the bullet ricocheted off the rocks and broke off an antler !!!!!!!
Would not have believed it if my 3 friends didn't see it. Great times. Travel sucks but it's the price I pay.

Can't wait to go in a nice elk hunt with big bulls and guided would be a nice change.
38FD62D6-19CC-4402-9EEF-04C976D3DA26.jpeg
Elk here
Next internal will be HH THROUGH DEERCE565060-1156-4A0B-B6C5-251831D1971B.jpegB7E1A208-1C7C-4301-A883-34F2DEB0E25E.jpegADD9084C-1E14-4600-97F1-44300AE1295A.jpeg37851D09-C5BA-40C0-B7DC-765F1D597E1E.jpeg

I've got a 1-8 26" new pac-nor barrel, I'm trying to get a good load for the 143 HH. I've been trying RL 26 and not getting the accuracy I'm looking for. I've got a couple pounds of 8133, where is a good starting point for this combo? I appreciate any help!
RL 26 is way too slow, you need to be in H4350 range

Anyone ever load any of the Bertram brass from Australia? I purchased 100 new pieces the other day but haven't loaded any yet. I've looked at all 100 pieces and all look pretty good. They all measure the same length, or close. No bent case mouths. This brass is easily identified by the 2 tiny kangaroos on the head-stamp!!
These will be loaded as hunting ammo. I don't shoot competition.
Brass wasn't inexpensive, but what 7MM STW brass is?? Fun to shoot though.

Sounds great!!!!

I am sitting in Dallas DFW right now trying to get back to south Texas. Been up since 3 am won't get home till after 1am from Montana.

I shot a small horned big bodied bull 4x4 with my 300 sherman mag shooting 300prc ammo. Not my STW but I'm part of this brotherhood so figured I would share. Been hunting the same area 25 years with some friends. We all tagged out on deer and elk. He was a 140 yard shot as he came offf private land.
Also shot a deer 380 yards 279 sherman short shooting 127 hammers. Blasted his both shoulders and the bullet ricocheted off the rocks and broke off an antler !!!!!!!
Would not have believed it if my 3 friends didn't see it. Great times. Travel sucks but it's the price I pay.

Can't wait to go in a nice elk hunt with big bulls and guided would be a nice change.
View attachment 306934
Elk here
Next internal will be HH THROUGH DEERView attachment 306935View attachment 306936View attachment 306937View attachment 306938
Congrats Mario. Good to see you're still alive for we haven't had a post from you in some time