7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I was first introduced to the 7mmSTW in about 1998 or 1999. My Uncle had one of the Sendero models. I carried it one afternoon and killed a deer in the 400 yard range. (1 shot/ 1 kill) My buddy then carried it and killed a couple of deer with it. Ever since then I've always wanted one!! I have a Rem 700, blued, in 7mmRemMag that I got about 30 years ago when I graduated from high school. It now has a head space problem and I've been up in the air as what to do about it? So, I just purchased a 7mmSTW re chamber SS barrel to put on it (If it evers gets here)...Really hope it shoots as well as my old 7Mag did!! Always got less than 1/2 moa with it,,,almost stock... The SS, 7STW will be going on a blued 700 action, trigger @ 2 lb, Plastic Remington Stock, custom painted with textured gray paint, filled with "Great Stuff" (which makes it some stiffer, and deadens sound), topped with a Bushnell Elite 3x9x50mm 600DOA scope. I hope/want to be shooting 140gr CT, with 7828,,,looking at starting out at around 75 grs and going up...seems that people really like the Fed 215 primers, although I've not seen many people name it on this post!?? Thanks for all the good information that is listed here....It really helps me as a NEW STW'er!!!

PS I'd like in on the brass deal also if it is a good deal!!

Thanks for the thread. I have six 7mm STW's and have been shooting it since the 8mm rem mag was introduced in 1977. It gained extensive popularity through the 70's and 80's and then in the 90's when Layne Simpson got involved with it he thank goodness was able to get it names as a standard cartridge the STW. This is one of the best long range cartridges we have to work with. It is the largest case and most power in 7mm with any kind of barrel life. The 7mm RUM is slightly faster but blows through barrels pretty fast. The STW is just right. Basically what it gave us in 1977 was the very popular 7mm-300 wby ballistics with cheap remington brass. My rifles have 26", 28" and 30 inch barrels and I think they all have Mcmillan stocks. The barrels are from Douglass, Pac-Nor and Hart. I have numerous loads from 140-180 grain bullets with them. It is just a great cartridge to shoot and every long range hunter needs one if they are thinking about 7mm. It has set several 1000 yard bench records and has been popular on that circuit for many years.
Wow! I thought l liked them also, get one more and you will have one for everyday of the week. I agree, it is the best combination for powder and bullet diameter too. It took all the guess work out with shots out to 400 yards and haven't missed a deer (yet) at that range.
I have two for now and all I have on top of them are two Leupold vari-xIII 3.5x10x50's and that is all I need on them because there is pretty much no hold over at 400 yards and just a little English on it past that. The furtherest shot I have so far is 627 yards on a whitetail and the one I am the most proud of, a coyote at 521 yards and with some knowledge of the ballistics and how much holdover to add to the shot. It just works.:D
FE

My latest one, Sako 75, likes 79.6- Retumbo 162 A Max, using a WLR primer. Yes, I know it is not a mag primer, but it is the hottest " standard" primer. Velocity was OK, I probably can come up some, but the ES, and SD, were very low, due to the primer change. Sometimes the mag primers are TOO hot. And yeah I agree, the core lokt bullets aren't t worth a ****.

7 STW.lightbulb gun)
Yea, core lokt bullets are not made for the 7stw, they do ok in a something with velocities below 3000fps. and aren't very accurate either. I have learned that the premium bullets are the best for something with velocities over 3000fps. The Nosler accubonds work the best so far in my two 7stw's, haven't recovered one yet, even on the deer I killed at 627 yards, made a nasty exit hole even at that range, punched him hard.:D
FE

WHile I'm here, I have the 162 a max that I plan on loading for the STW, but have always used AB's in my 270. How do the a maxs perform on game?

WHile I'm here, I have the 162 a max that I plan on loading for the STW, but have always used AB's in my 270. How do the a maxs perform on game?

I use the 105 A-max's in my .243AI and have taken game with them but nothing under 400 yards. They performed very well. Nice entrance and not too big of a exit hole. I have not however used the 162 A-max out of my 7STW although I do have a load developed for it. Maybe this year if I draw Wy.

Nice looking high wall.

I got a call today, my guy said he can get remington 7mm stw brass, lots of 100, looks like .72 cents per case. If we buy enough, who knows, I will be talking to him tomorrow, for those interested in the group buy, let me know if you want in. I plan to receive them and then re mail 100 round packs. My zip code is 14450. I will check about getting some type of boxes to mail them in. I'm thinking some cheap hard plastic box. Any ideas welcomed. Send me a message with your zip code if interested. I'd like to put in the buy on Friday. Ask any friends you might know as we may get a better price.

Thanks,
Ed

my stock finally came in now just waiting on all the other goodies to get here

I picked Up my " donor" rifle today. It is unfired 700 LSS in 300 win. Mag. It was made when the LSS's first came out , around 1999. This gun is absolutely mint. The action is smooth, and the trigger is one of the Mike Walker originals. These are very adjustable, and typically smooth. It looks so nice that I almost don't want to take it apart, but what I will be getting out of it is going to be awesome. The laminated stock is gorgeous. My 7 mag is black and grey. This one has a little bit of green in it, and is flawless. The one on my semi custom is black and tan. I did not know that there were so many color variations. This is one pretty piece of wood. The barrel should be here the beginning of next week. I may keep this one, and give my semi custom to my son. He does not know anything about it. It is going to be a graduation gift. He loves my STW's, and shoots them well. This is fun. Just an update.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. :cool:gun). 7 STW

I just asked the same question of someone on the reloading section, and was told they work awesome. I am glade, because my Sako loves the to death. Now I have 300 more. One of the guys at my club gave me 3 boxes of the old style A-maxes. These bullets are longer then the new ones. They are VERY accurate in mine. I am going to give them a try in July on a crop damage hunt. Can't wait. Maybe I will break in the new one that I am building. Check out the 162 A Max thread in Reloading.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. :) gun) 7 STW.

To all interested in group buy, I have you listed as follows:

Remington 7mm STW BRASS

SCREENNAME QUANTITY ZIP CODE

lloydsmale 100 49862
wapitiBob 150 97701
Fred Ea 900 ?
Sackett 100 ?
tayhot 200 ?
Freebie ? ?
Sleepy Time ? ?
etisll40 400 ?

I'm putting in an order as a group buy on Friday. .72cents per piece per hundred if you want in. I am not making any cash but will have to pay shipping to me in 1 box bulked packed in 100 case bags. Then take the packs of 100 and ship out. Tomorrow I am going to Walmart to look for some cheap plastic boxes to ship them in. If you want some let me know before Friday. What is your zip code?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the opportunity for getting the 7mm STW brass.

Please take my name off the list because I just received 500 cases this past weekend.

Thanks again,

Tim

Ed,
I sent you PM and an update or the order for 7stw brass. My whole hunting party wants in if possible. Up my total to 900 pieces if possible. Zip code 36108.
Thanks,
Fred Ea.