7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Well first off nice shooting. It looks like the 175gr ABLR and H1000 works well for you. I'd say your done. I may have to give that a try as well. What do you normally shoot. 3 or more shot groups. That center target is 6 or was it 2 different 3 shot groups.

Very fine shooting & reloading thks , 3 shot groups are my norm also,even then ill shoot them slow, might as well I can't load em any better lol , sporter bbls heat up fast enough.

Very fine shooting & reloading thks , 3 shot groups are my norm also,even then ill shoot them slow, might as well I can't load em any better lol , sporter bbls heat up fast enough.
Yes they do heat up,helps when it's only 8-10* outside,it's been a long cold winter here,have 3 shots and get in the truck for a warm,not sure about the temp sensitivity,but time nov rolls around again it will be the same temp as the 175 ABLRs I worked up so the couple boxes I have stashed should be good to go

79.0 and 79.3. Is the forth shot me or my reloads. 79.0 performed befor under 1/4" with a three shot group. I might be pushing it with heating up the Barrel going to 4. What has been your guys experience with 3 or 4 shot groups.
This is just my take on th a matter, some dis agree, but with the Big stuff, I've ALWAYS used three shot groups. On my new 308, I'm using five shot groups.
I've always been with the thought that if you fire that monster, three times, iin the field, and miss, they are long gone, anyway.
Secondly, but actually, first of all, you just burned 80 grains of powder, created a bunch of heat, by the time you get to four and five, you will start getting vertical stringing, which will make you say, group is too big, bad load, try AGAIN.
But your first THREE were 3/8 inch.!!!!!!!!!!#
My vote for the big dog, is three shot.
Also, you can shoot two, three shot groups, on TWO separate targets, and overlay them, to compare. That has worked for me in the past!
Good luck, don't burn your barrel out trying to find something you can find with less.

I also found that after a good cleaning of my gun,it takes about 3 shots to foul it again to get it back grouping.How many rounds would a guy fire without cleaning?do you run a brush through after a few or leave it alone for 20-30 rounds,I know different powders and bullets will have an affect on this,just curious what the long time 7STW shooters found.TIA

I also found that after a good cleaning of my gun,it takes about 3 shots to foul it again to get it back grouping.How many rounds would a guy fire without cleaning?do you run a brush through after a few or leave it alone for 20-30 rounds,I know different powders and bullets will have an affect on this,just curious what the long time 7STW shooters found.TIA

I could usually get away with 15, or so, before I could tell I needed a cleaning. Rl25, leaves a pretty good carbon trail, which in turn becomes a copper trap, which becomes a carbon trap, etc, etc.
A little trick I've learned, grab a can of carburetor cleaner, or green can, CRC, brake cleaner, and clean between cleanings with it. You will be AMAZED, at how much carbon you will pull out. Then, run a patch of Kroil, down the bore ,BEFORE, you fire it again. Otherwise, you will have a stripped bore, and this leads to copper fouling. I've learned to finish every cleaning, with a patch of Kroil.
And, if you put some in before you leave for the day, it keeps the bore from imbedding, carbon into it. Carbon is your worst enemy.

My cleaning regiment is after 15-20 rounds or after firing even a few. First off I start with hoppies #9 and a bronze brush. 10 passes (down and back=1) then reaply hoppies #9. Repeat for 5 times. Then I bore scope to see if copper is present. I've never not had it present. Some bullets are worse then others but I don't have a firm opinion on what's better or worse. If they work they work. After checking for copper I apply sweets copper remover on a patch and plastic jag so I don't leave a signature from a brass jag. Scrub for 10 passes then push 3-5 clean patches to remove sweets then back to hoppies #9 for 10 passes which scrubs out any remaining sweets. Then check with bore scope. Repeat until copper is totally gone. Scrub with hoppies and a couple clean patches. Then oil it down with kroil when your putting it away. When you take it out next time run a clean patch down the bore before you get on your way.

For what it's worth, for years I thought I had a good cleaning regiment until one rifle lost all accuracy, after countless cleaning I thought I saw red rust in the muzzle a couple of inches in. I decided to break down and by a bore scope. What I saw was total copper fouling. I could not believe it after all I thought I did a good cleaning regiment. Boy was I wrong. I light in the bore will always show a shinny bore if cleaned but you will never see the valley loading up. Copper remover and blue it removes is a good indication but you really can't tell unless you get up close and personal.
I could usually get away with 15, or so, before I could tell I needed a cleaning. Rl25, leaves a pretty good carbon trail, which in turn becomes a copper trap, which becomes a carbon trap, etc, etc.
A little trick I've learned, grab a can of carburetor cleaner, or green can, CRC, brake cleaner, and clean between cleanings with it. You will be AMAZED, at how much carbon you will pull out. Then, run a patch of Kroil, down the bore ,BEFORE, you fire it again. Otherwise, you will have a stripped bore, and this leads to copper fouling. I've learned to finish every cleaning, with a patch of Kroil.
And, if you put some in before you leave for the day, it keeps the bore from imbedding, carbon into it. Carbon is your worst enemy.

Just found the 7 STW Brotherhood and it is a wealth of information. I have a Ed Brown custom in 7 STW and look forward to trying out some of your pointers..

Bwaybuilder,
Welcome to the addiction to to a stellar cartridge, and its history, and all the great folks here, and I mean to tell ya, we have a few.
If you have some time on your hands, read back over some of tge archives, and if you're not careful, you may learn a thing or two.
This cartridge had a pretty awesome conception, by a good old fella, named Layne Simpson.
He then even gave it a few brothers, in other calibers, but the sweetheart of the bunch, is of course, the Seven.
It will amaze, and hardly ever disappoint. In the rifle you have, I doubt ever. Load it with quality components, and it has no equal.
I could go on forever, but most importantly, welcome aboard.