7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I have one of the Ruger #1 Stainless with laminate stocked rifles that I bought new in 2001. I know that they did not make these that long, and not that many. So far I have only put factory loads through it and it really likes the Federal 150g Trophy Bonded load. I still have 3 boxes of this. Getting a scope on this rifle, as the factory scope setup iss not the best.

I found out that the Remington Cor Lok's are not that great. The accuracy was ok, but performance on a deer was bad. I had a nice buck walk up on my at about 25 yards quarting in. The bullet just could not hold up the forces of this round and the deer. The deer dropped in its tracks, but the bullet never entered the chest where I shot it. I found the jacket in the rear quarter under the skin.

I would also be interested in more brass, as this is getting harder to find.

I have a Weatherby Accumark LH chambered in the 7STW w/brake. I really shoots the 140 or 160 TTSX very well. I really like this cartridge. but I have alot of 7mm cal rifles including the RUM.

It is topped with a Leupold 8.5 x 25 x 50 LRT.

Hey guys, I just purchased another Sendero barrel this morning that I bought here in the classifieds. I am going to sacrifice a 700 LSS in 300 win mag( unfired) . I am going to open up the stock, pillar bed it, and glass it. I have it's twin now, which is my semi custom, but the one that I am building now is a gift ( maybe) the action is very smooth, and the stock is flawless. Should be getting barrel early next week. Round count is low, barrel in great shape. Was told it shot well, but he rebarreled to another caliber. Can't wait. Will keep you posted,and wil try to figure out how to post pix. Did that one time,no show, but all of my friends on my email list did!

7STW:cool:gun)

Guess I'll chime n. Bought a 700 stw from the classifieds here a couple mos ago. Nightforce 20 moa base, tps rings, leupold mk4 6.5-20, bell and Carlson thumb hook stock. Still getting my stuff together to hand load for it. Planning on shooting 162 a max. Still deciding on powder. One thing is for sure, it don't like core lokts! Lol! Oh yeah, got a jewel trigger on the way.

Guess I'll chime n. Bought a 700 stw from the classifieds here a couple mos ago. Nightforce 20 moa base, tps rings, leupold mk4 6.5-20, bell and Carlson thumb hook stock. Still getting my stuff together to hand load for it. Planning on shooting 162 a max. Still deciding on powder. One thing is for sure, it don't like core lokts! Lol! Oh yeah, got a jewel trigger on the way.

My latest one, Sako 75, likes 79.6- Retumbo 162 A Max, using a WLR primer. Yes, I know it is not a mag primer, but it is the hottest " standard" primer. Velocity was OK, I probably can come up some, but the ES, and SD, were very low, due to the primer change. Sometimes the mag primers are TOO hot. And yeah I agree, the core lokt bullets aren't t worth a ****.

7 STW.lightbulb gun)

Was gong to try some 4831, as I have some on hand. What's your preferred powder for the 162s? (besides the retumbo) I have a habit of buying a bunch of diff powders and really wanted to avoid it this time.

Thanks for the thread. I have six 7mm STW's and have been shooting it since the 8mm rem mag was introduced in 1977. It gained extensive popularity through the 70's and 80's and then in the 90's when Layne Simpson got involved with it he thank goodness was able to get it names as a standard cartridge the STW. This is one of the best long range cartridges we have to work with. It is the largest case and most power in 7mm with any kind of barrel life. The 7mm RUM is slightly faster but blows through barrels pretty fast. The STW is just right. Basically what it gave us in 1977 was the very popular 7mm-300 wby ballistics with cheap remington brass. My rifles have 26", 28" and 30 inch barrels and I think they all have Mcmillan stocks. The barrels are from Douglass, Pac-Nor and Hart. I have numerous loads from 140-180 grain bullets with them. It is just a great cartridge to shoot and every long range hunter needs one if they are thinking about 7mm. It has set several 1000 yard bench records and has been popular on that circuit for many years.

Was gong to try some 4831, as I have some on hand. What's your preferred powder for the 162s? (besides the retumbo) I have a habit of buying a bunch of diff powders and really wanted to avoid it this time.

I have been experimenting with H-1000, but if you have rl22, or 7828' those will work. Start at around 74.5 and work up. Don't be afraid to try standard primers also. Especially WLR Winchester primers, they work for me very well. Either one of those three will work well once you find your load. It won't take long either, those 162 A-Maxes shoot like a dream in anything I put them in. Take care, have fun, and enjoy.

AIM SMALL! MISS SMALL.lightbulb gun). 7STW

P/ S, I know what you mean about buying powder, I have a bunch that I need to get rid of, some hardly used.

Thanks for the thread. I have six 7mm STW's and have been shooting it since the 8mm rem mag was introduced in 1977. It gained extensive popularity through the 70's and 80's and then in the 90's when Layne Simpson got involved with it he thank goodness was able to get it names as a standard cartridge the STW. This is one of the best long range cartridges we have to work with. It is the largest case and most power in 7mm with any kind of barrel life. The 7mm RUM is slightly faster but blows through barrels pretty fast. The STW is just right. Basically what it gave us in 1977 was the very popular 7mm-300 wby ballistics with cheap remington brass. My rifles have 26", 28" and 30 inch barrels and I think they all have Mcmillan stocks. The barrels are from Douglass, Pac-Nor and Hart. I have numerous loads from 140-180 grain bullets with them. It is just a great cartridge to shoot and every long range hunter needs one if they are thinking about 7mm. It has set several 1000 yard bench records and has been popular on that circuit for many years.

Wow, I thought I was bad having three of them and in process of building another.I also agree that the STW is about as much overbore as is needed. The RUM is TOO much, had one, hated it, traded it. Welcome to the Brotherhood!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. :cool: 7 STW

Boo-Hoo. I sold mine in 2000. I bought it for my last year of living in Wyoming, (1999) for elk. I shot 2 boxes of ammo through it and 1 shot at a spike elk at 450 yards. I shot, found the elk in my scope again and he was just standing there. I thought, missed. Jacked another round in and placed my crosshair again in the same spot, (top of his shoulder). Before I could pull the trigger he just fell over!! Now I want another one!!

Something a little bit different. A Highwall that was originally in 7 mag. Rechambered it to an STW when it was still a wildcat round.

Attachments

• STW.jpg
    STW.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 35

Recent Posts