7mm STW best loads and advice

Ranchdog

Picked up an M70 pre 64 rifle that has been re-barreled in 7mm stw. Got a great deal on it the gun is in very good condition and I just couldn't pass it up at a local pawn shop. I am looking for some advice on the best factory ammo available right now just to go shooting until I can get a good load developed. I am new to this blog and look forward to learning from you guys out there. I'm very happy with my recent purchase would just like to make it as accurate as possible.
KIMG0322.JPG

First off youve bought an excellent rifle, chambered in an excellent cartridge.
The thing to remember is, that it is what it is, and wont ever be what it isnt, regardless as to what you feed it by way of bullets.

Yeah, I just want to make it proficient enough to pack for trophy elk and maybe reach out on a pasture pup at about 400-500 for kicks. We have a plethora of dogs out our way and sometimes its fun to touch em off at a distance. My 22-250 is deadly under 400 but lacks knockdown out beyond that. Thank you for the bode of confidence in my purchase. Yobuck

Yeah, I just want to make it proficient enough to pack for trophy elk and maybe reach out on a pasture pup at about 400-500 for kicks. We have a plethora of dogs out our way and sometimes its fun to touch em off at a distance. My 22-250 is deadly under 400 but lacks knockdown out beyond that. Thank you for the bode of confidence in my purchase. Yobuck
Well i personally wouldnt be sending many down that barrel at dogs, unless on a few occasions i got the urge
at some real distance. Id be saving it for the bigger stuff at the longer distances.
Ive developed some rancher friends out there in the SE corner of your state and have hunted dogs there as well as Antelope. Problem is that for me it is a 3 day ride each way, and at my age i question how smart it is to spend 6 days behind a wheel at 70 mph to do it.
But i certainly wish i could find an easier/better way to go about doing that.
My favorite rifle to use of the 3 i take along is my 22x250 AI using 69 gr bullets. Unless it's real windy shots out to 600 arent much of an issue with it. A 6x284 with 105 gr bullets is enough gun for me to reach out further for them and use when the wind is stronger at shorter distance.
I have two 7x300 Wetherby rifles i use for L/R PA hunting, which is actually an earlier version of the 7 STW, and balisticly pretty much a clone. But ive never taken them along to Montana.
I did build a 6.5x300 WSM to take out there for L/R Antelope, and did manage to take 2 on the same trip with it, both at some decent distance, one being near Gillette in WY.
But a 6.5x300 WSM with 140s is no 7x300 Wetherby or 7STW with 160s at the longer distances, and when i found that out i sold the rifle.
Which is what prompted my comment about your gun being what it is, as they all are.

I have three 7mm rem mags & one 7mm stw but it's never had a factory round thru it. Nosler factory ammo has shown good results in other rifles for me, as well as federal. If it were me, I would try to stay with bullets 160 grain up to possibly175 in factory ammo. I think nosler loaded with 160 grain accubonds would be my first try with factory ammo. HSM factory loads with 168 Bergers would be my next try. Next would possibly be 175 accubond long range factory ammo. I believe one of these three will get you to sub moa three shot groups. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Also, that rifle will heat up quickly. I wouldn't do more than 3 shots at a time. Then give it a good 10-15 minutes before the next 3 shot group.

Last edited:
I have three 7mm rem mags & one 7mm stw but it's never had a factory round thru it. Nosler factory ammo has shown good results in other rifles for me, as well as federal. If it were me, I would try to stay with bullets 160 grain up to possibly175 in factory ammo. I think nosler loaded with 160 grain accubonds would be my first try with factory ammo. HSM factory loads with 168 Bergers would be my next try. Next would possibly be 175 accubond long range factory ammo. I believe one of these three will get you to sub moa three shot groups. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Also, that rifle will heat up quickly. I wouldn't do more than 3 shots at a time. Then give it a good 10-15 minutes before the next 3 shot group.
Good advice, you will find that bullets in the 160 class will shoot flatter, meaning less clicks on the scope dial
than the heavier ones like 180s out to about 1200 yds.
And when you get to 1200 yds, be reaching for a bigger gun.

Thanks guys. I picked up some Hornady brass yesterday and found some 140 accubonds. Dropped them off at a buddy's house and he's going to load me up some rounds so I can go give er a whirl. Figured I'd start with the 140s since it was all I could find in the past week then work up into the 160s. Hope I have a couple hours this week to shoot it while being shoulders deep in heifers lol. 150 to calve. Thanks guys I'll post updates as I get this thing grouping where I want it.

Well first trial run on the rifle was not what I was hoping for but now have some work ahead of me. The three 3 shot groups fired only got grouped to about the size of a can of Copenhagen. Broke the gun down, and the barrel is not free floating. Needs bedded and I figured while at it, anybody got a upgraded trigger recommendation? Thanks guys

Attachments

• 12831.jpeg
    12831.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 61
Try some 160-175gr bullets. I know you want to shoot 140s and with some load tuning it probably can shoot those good but im willing to bet that a bullet of 160gr or a little more is going to be a lot less finicky in that rifle.

Ok I'll give er hell
Myself, my father and my uncle all built semi custom 7mm STWs back in the early 90s. We shot and reloaded for them for about 20 years. All three would shoot 1/2 MOA with perfect load but it took some experimenting. The three rifles we had seemed to be a little finicky. My rifle shot the best when the neck tension was carefully controlled to about 0.002. They can be a little frustrating but if you carefully keep at it you'll hit on a recipe for yours. Getting all the fit and finish issues cleared up will get you a solid base to work with. We had a lot of good results with RL22 back in the day, but these days I think I'd try H1000, Retumbo, IMR7977, RL26, N565, N570 or IMR8133. These are all being used in the fast medium magnums with great results. I have used H1000, IMR7977, and IMR8133 in my 7mm LRM and 6.5 PRC with very good results. Hope you zero in on something quick.

You are very fortunate to fine one of these. Maybe I missed reading but the scope will play a big factor in your performance. I highly suggest you ask many questions and write down the replies. Also you will need to start investing in reloading supplies. That will not stretch your friendship but will allow you to taylor your loads for specifically to your needs. I see you have a muzzle brake on already which is nice just make sure obviously to wear ear protection for your self and those nearby.
Let the achievements begin.
ODAVID

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.