7mm STW best loads and advice

After hunting Elk with a 7mm I finally found a STW at a decent price like yourself. My brother built one off a 700 action back in the 80's. Like you I couldn't get mine to get a good group. Looked at his old data using 140 gr ballistic tip Nosler. Punches 1 hole groups at 100 yards.

As mentioned above, there is a sub section on STW's. Great folks and a butt load of info

Well first trial run on the rifle was not what I was hoping for but now have some work ahead of me. The three 3 shot groups fired only got grouped to about the size of a can of Copenhagen. Broke the gun down, and the barrel is not free floating. Needs bedded and I figured while at it, anybody got a upgraded trigger recommendation? Thanks guys
You'll figure it out, and it will come to to you. Thats a fine rifle, find what she wants, and it will put a smile on your face. Lots of info here, and people willing to lend a hand!
And formulas too!
Enjoy, and be safe!

Sir do as you please but I'd not go the lee route. If you're looking to load good shooting ammo for your 7mm stw I'd spend once and cry once. In all reality you can watch and find a lot better quality stuff Used and only buy once. And be happy. Just my .02

Thx for your thoughts Yobuck, I see where you're coming from. I've been working with the big 7's (STW, Mashburn Super, 7x300 Wby, 7 Wby, 7 RM etc) for 35 years or so now. Same pretty much for 7828, I do love that powder and have used a couple ton loads of it.

Are you running a 26" barrel, or longer?

That said, we all have our practices and comfort zones. For me, I build a load that I can shoot 365 days a year. For me, if it's a load that works well in the winter but pops primers in the summer then it's time for me to back off. And again for me, if it's a load that's ruining the primer pockets (IE can't keep a primer in them) after 2 or 3 loadings then to me it's way off the charts into the PSI zone and time to back off. For me an extra 100-150 fps or so is just not worth it.

Again, keep in mind this is only my way and doesn't have to be anyone else's. :) so I'm really not trying to school you even though it might sound that way...

I recall the first STW I built, like most I was reading and taking in what Layne was writing back then, think that a lot of us did. Then we got to actually working with them and we sorted out quickly how far out to lunch he was with his speeds!

Long ago I learned that people can make a round do what they want, I'm sure you've seen that as well. Personally I believe that's where the statement that 3400 isn't unheard of comes from. We've heard it before, but IMO that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Problem with a statement like that is that then along comes some speed freak (like I was years ago, I was President of the red liners club for a long time) and they try to do the same thing.

You mentioned that 7828 will abrubtly slam the door, I don't quite concur with that. But, I do feel like most powders/load combo's etc there will be a place that they'll get to where they'll just say "allright, no more quit pushing me"....I saw that a lot with a friend who insisted on getting his, IE pushing his 23-24" 6.5/06's with 140's to the ultimate goal of 3K (pre miracle powders, and to this guy all those zero's was so important), once he would go much over 2850 accuracy went in the toidy and primers would begin to pop (especially in the summer). Again, we use these guns for our year around shooting, so we want one load for all year that'll work on chucks to elk.

Thx much for your time, appreciate it, and I do share your love for the Big 7's, they're so easy to shoot from any position, you can shoot them a lot, and you don't need a brake on them (something which I refuse to own) in order to be proficient with them. Plus they absolutely pound game close and far!

(Sorry to drivel on, this lock down has me going crazy)
Dogz, you speak my language. I have had a passion for this round, going on 30 years, and it's hard to believe that many years have gone by.
I share your love for 7828, but, when RL25, came out, that stuff was like fairy dust in my camp. At one time, I had four, STW's, and all of them perked with the 25. Prior to that, RL22 was my go to powder, but terribly temp sensitive. I love all things 7mm, always have, always will.
And, I hear ya on the lock down mess. It sucks! Be safe!

7stw when I started looking around on here and reading, its amazing all the knowledge you guys have and I look forward to learning more

Don't be afraid to ask. Not only of myself, but any of the members on here, or on the 7stw site. Butterbean is another source as well.
When you find you're combo, I'll guarantee goosebumps. This caliber taught me so many other things, that I've applied to others as well, but we did things with that round, and rifles that are too numerous to mention.
No other caliber in my shooting history has effected me like this one. It has a charisma about it.
Enjoy the ride!

I just got back from the range, tried some 150 Scenar along with 7828. Perked like a charm near and far (or at least what's far for me:)

R26 has run really well in my Mashburn as well, you might wish to give it a go in the STW

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.