7mm stw Ackley improved

there is a ackly case made up by a gunsmith named bruce baur from willow hill pait is called th 284 baur magnum
who is a ted 1000yard shooter at willamsport pa.

Ha anybody done this? My friend has a brand new chamber reamer for stw ai and I was curious what the results would be....I have 2 stws right now and was curious if brass life etc is better...I'm only getting 3-4 reloads out of Remington brass before it's toast and I'm not even loading that hot (berger 180 vld with 81 grs n570 at 3030 fps).
I don't think it would be worthwhile myself. You're not going to see any significant gains and you're going to spend a pretty fair chunk of money on custom dies to create essentially an anachronistic novelty.

I've muddled along with the STW since 92 and all four of them just keep getting the job done in their original forms season after season.

I sold or tossed all my remington stw brass. I could only get 2 reloads with 140 Barnes and 81.5gr rl-25.
I was thru 6 reloads on nosler brass when I changed the rifle action and barrel and stopped using those pieces of brass. I'm now thru 4 reloads on this new action/barrel setup; 143 hammers and 80.7gr rl-25 and see no end in sight. I anneal after every firing. I did loosen a few primer pockets when I tested loads at 83gr rl-25.
Bob if you give RL26 and 33 a chance you might just be really happy with one or both.

I shoot hot loads were the bug hole accuracy node is, Rem brass does not last long. Winchester brass is probably 4 times longer lasting vs Remington.

I don't see the need in going AI, due to cost of dies and the length of time it would take to get them.

I am an accuracy freek first, then velocity freek. I do not like for deer to run after they have been shot.

My thoughts were with the ai chamber brass flow would be less which should help case life...stw performance is plenty. I'm planning on pushing a 195 berger 3000+ fps when the barrel is finished being broken in. Some days I do kick myself for just not going the 28 nosler route though for brass availability and not dealing with the darn belt...I hate having to size my nosler brass after a few firings with the Larry willis collet dies. Just adds more time and work when time is something I don't have to spare.

Josh, I have been shooting belted cartridges since 1978, have yet to see a belt problem, 7Mag, 264 Win, 300 WM, 7 STW. Soft case heads cause issues, and nosler is not tough brass. I did order a RCBS small base sizer to use on my hot loads after a few firings in the 7 STW. Josh, if you can ever find any Winchester brass for the 7 stw, I think that your Willis die will never be used, again. I had a Willis die for years and never used it.

I have never used any powder in my 7 STW's other than R#22 and IMR 7828. If the powder shortage was not around, I would probably be using R#23...at least to try it.

120g Noslers and 140g Nosler C/T bullets is what we use in 6 different rifles in the family.

Thanks for the advice. I have about 500 Remington brass and 150 nosler brass...saving the Remy brass for emergency spares or trading material later...not a fan of it...my rifle that I have now is throated and setup for the 195 bergers (1-8 twist barrel). Currently breaking it in with accurate 3100(flame temp is cooler than any other mag powder) powder and 180gr matchkings..once it's sped up on this bartlein barrel I'm switching to n570 and 195 bergers...this rifle with a minimum charge load and the matchkings touching the lands is crazy good already...darn near matches my 308 tight neck benchrest rifle.... haven't measured groups yet since I'm just breaking it in but 5 shots at a 100yds is just one ragged hole and I only have 50 rounds down the barrel so far.

She's a trued and blueprinted lri action...all bolt work done... bartlein 3b 28" barrel... McMillan stock...bedded...trigger tech trigger obendorf bottomed metal...night force nx8

Attachments

• thumb_15095_1600_0_0_0_crop.jpg
    thumb_15095_1600_0_0_0_crop.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 25
  • thumb_15094_1600_0_0_0_crop.jpg
    thumb_15094_1600_0_0_0_crop.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 25
Josh, I have been shooting belted cartridges since 1978, have yet to see a belt problem, 7Mag, 264 Win, 300 WM, 7 STW. Soft case heads cause issues, and nosler is not tough brass. I did order a RCBS small base sizer to use on my hot loads after a few firings in the 7 STW. Josh, if you can ever find any Winchester brass for the 7 stw, I think that your Willis die will never be used, again. I had a Willis die for years and never used it.

I have never used any powder in my 7 STW's other than R#22 and IMR 7828. If the powder shortage was not around, I would probably be using R#23...at least to try it.

120g Noslers and 140g Nosler C/T bullets is what we use in 6 different rifles in the family.
Never pass on a pound of H1000 if you shoot an STW. It's a marriage made in heaven. Not usually the fastest load you can find, but oh so easy to work up a 100% accurate and reliable load.