7mm stw Ackley improved

Well IMO it is, the core STW group had them back in the day and sent them down the road (I had 3 of them myself)and we all kept the STW's
The STW is in my opinion pretty much the break point on the point of diminishing returns.

There's just not enough of an increase in performance of the STW with the RUM to justify the added powder, blast, flash, recoil and throat erosion.

Ha anybody done this? My friend has a brand new chamber reamer for stw ai and I was curious what the results would be....I have 2 stws right now and was curious if brass life etc is better...I'm only getting 3-4 reloads out of Remington brass before it's toast and I'm not even loading that hot (berger 180 vld with 81 grs n570 at 3030 fps).
Not in 7MM STW AI but in .30 cal. Do NOT let anybody including myself talk you out of what "you really want" to do. Good luck!

Well IMO it is, the core STW group had them back in the day and sent them down the road (I had 3 of them myself)and we all kept the STW's
and that's yours too have.. but let me ask you this was your stw custom and the rums not? were any of the rums built right too use all that case and shoot the 195 properly! 100 fps is a 100 fps over bore or not..
still have tons of love for the 7stw

Last edited:
and that's yours too have.. but let me ask you this was your stw custom and the rums not? were any of the rums built right too use all that case and shoot the 195 properly! 100 fps is a 100 fps over bore or not..
still have tons of love for the 7stw
This has been beat to death before,
I had both, bone stock and one custom STW and three stock 7 RUMs, the STW's hands down were better than the RUM, You are correct in saying a custom built RUM will out run the STW with the 195's but its still minimal for the money spent when you can buy a stock STW for a third of the price, Now as the OP never asked about a 7 RUM lets get back on topic shall we

The STW is in my opinion pretty much the break point on the point of diminishing returns.

There's just not enough of an increase in performance of the STW with the RUM to justify the added powder, blast, flash, recoil and throat erosion.
This has been beat to death before,
I had both, bone stock and one custom STW and three stock 7 RUMs, the STW's hands down were better than the RUM, You are correct in saying a custom built RUM will out run the STW with the 195's but its still minimal for the money spent when you can buy a stock STW for a third of the price, Now as the OP never asked about a 7 RUM lets get back on topic shall we
Since I now own one of them I can attest to that as being a fact.