7mm stw Ackley improved

josh_127

Ha anybody done this? My friend has a brand new chamber reamer for stw ai and I was curious what the results would be....I have 2 stws right now and was curious if brass life etc is better...I'm only getting 3-4 reloads out of Remington brass before it's toast and I'm not even loading that hot (berger 180 vld with 81 grs n570 at 3030 fps).

I've been around the STW for a long time and I remember hearing of one a long time ago but never heard anything else of it, IMO unless you were loading really mild I think it would be a waste of time, by the time you got the brass formed and worked a load up the primer pockets would be well on the way to being a trash barrel, once again, just my opinion

I sold or tossed all my remington stw brass. I could only get 2 reloads with 140 Barnes and 81.5gr rl-25.
I was thru 6 reloads on nosler brass when I changed the rifle action and barrel and stopped using those pieces of brass. I'm now thru 4 reloads on this new action/barrel setup; 143 hammers and 80.7gr rl-25 and see no end in sight. I anneal after every firing. I did loosen a few primer pockets when I tested loads at 83gr rl-25.

It's not opinion. That's FACT. That's what I could get out of mine, using 8Rem, 300WM Rem and 300 H&H even though it took more work to format. I had my 7STW built by my Smith a year after the Layne's write up on it.
Well give yourself another pat on the back but it's still your opinion and that's all it is

It's not opinion. That's FACT. That's what I could get out of mine, using 8Rem, 300WM Rem and 300 H&H even though it took more work to format. I had my 7STW built by my Smith a year after the Layne's write up on it.
i don't know many folks who build 7STWs to drive in the slow lane. There are plenty of other 7mm cartridges more suitable for that style of driving.

I had a 7mm-300 weatherby built before the stw was out, sold the weatherby to buy a stw because of factory ammo. The 7mm-300 was better on brass than the stw , Iv'e been trying to buy it back for years.

My 338 jarrett (blown out, improved and necked up 8mm rem mag case or necked down 375hh ) eats brass much faster than my 7STW.
Im not sure what gain you will see with the already overbore 7stw in an AI.

I'm throated long for the 195 bergers. I did this so they're not seated into the powder column .030 off the lands....my plan originally was to use 300 Weatherby but I don't like that it ends up .020 thousands shorter...which to me means the neck is shorter once it's formed...I looked at doing it with basic Peterson brass tubes or 375 h&h to keep the neck in spec but I was thinking as a 7mm ai brass life would be better with same loads. That way I'm not smoking my brass after all that effort of necking it down and forming it with the hydro die.

Recent Posts