7mm STW accuracy loads

bearcat2

Just got a new rifle built in 7mm STW, I'm looking for some help developing accurate long range hunting loads. What has anybody found as an accurate load in this caliber?
I have Sierra 175 gamekings and Berger 180 VLD bullets (and yes the gun has a fast enough twist to stabilize these). I have Ramshot Magnum, RE25 and 7828ssc powders on hand, so will start with loads for these.

I've loaded for my Shooting Times Westerners since the day I got them,never shot factory ammo through mine(just personal preference). I've used H-1000,RE22&25,AA8700,IMR7828ssc.The most accurate load I found came with the 8700,Would have bought a keg of it if I'd known they'd discontinue it. My best load now comes from 80grs. 7828ssc. The Sendero likes 82grs best and the Boone & Crockett I had re-chambered likes 80grs best. Glad to know someone else is shooting the greatest caliber ever made THANKS, LAYNE. Hope you have luck with yours.Now I've done it got some **** started now

You have a great cartridge to work with. My best load with the 175 gameking is 87 grains of H-870 with a velocity of 3265 fps. retumbo and 7828 shoot very well in it. Well all the slow burners are good. I have shot this one since the 8mm rem mag first came out and everybody started necking it to various calibers. Layne didn't have anything to do with the developement of this cartridge to my knowledge. If he did it wasn't any more than me and 10,000 other rifle nuts did before he gave it the STW name about 20 years later.

My mistake many thanks Long Time Long Ranger and the other 10,000 as you said this is a very good one to work with. May I ask what brand rifle you are shooting the stw in.I will certainly try your load in both my rifles.

Work up carefully to my load with H-870. I buy powder 5-10 kegs at a time with same lot numbers. H-870 can vary 10% lot to lot so keep that in mind. I have six 7mm STW's with different barrel lengths and twists for different bullets and applications. That load is out of a 28" Hart barrel on a Sako action. It was cut with a custom reamer that had some freebore in it but still allows me to seat the long 175 grain bullets near the lands if I want. My only stock one is a Weatherby MK 5 with a 26" barrel and it shoots just as good as the customs. It likes the 162 hornady Amax and shoots them 3385 fps with 83.5 grains of 7828. The STW and the 7mm-300 wby are my two favorite magnum 7mm's. I have two 7mm ultramags with 31" Hart custom barrels twisted for the longest, heaviest bullets out there and they shoot great also but barrel life really suffers once you go to that big a case. My son and I have 6 antelope tags between us and I like to see how far I can kill one each year with the 7mm's and the 264 STW. Fun to shoot in the wind with the high BC bullets. I shot a deer at almost 1300 yards with one on a calm fall evening with no thermals messing with me. My buddy got an antelope last year at 1100 yards with his STW and a heavy berger bullet. I got to top that this year to stay in the race here. Antelope are really small to shoot that far.

I shoot a 26inch Douglas barreled STW--really like the 139 gr. Hornady SST sitting on 81 grains of RL 22 or 81.5 grains of 7828-shot a big whitetail at 400yds recently and was DRT. Be sure to fireform then necksize for ultimate accuracy.

I've been shooting my Blaser R-93 in 7STW for ten years and have settled on one load for everything: 79 grs. Re-22, Fed 215M primers, 140 gr. Nosler Accubond Moly-coated bullet, COAL 3.620. The rifle is scoped with a Greybull 4.5-14x scope and shoots half minute groups of three out to 1,000 yards. Perhaps the rifle has a super-tight chamber, but the reality is that it sends those 140's through an Oehler clock at 3,300 fps, with no signs of pressure and case life of 8-10 times. I have taken big game with it in Alaska, Africa, and all over the U.S. (it's too much gun for Pronghorns!)

Have you tried any Berger VLD 168gr in any of your 7mm STWs? Been trying to work up a load for these with some success until I reach above 3,000 fps where group starts to open.
26" x 1.5" fluted Krieger barrel, Sako AV action, McMillan A2, Vortex PST.

I just found out about Blaser now making model 93 barrels in David Tubb's favorite wildcat the 6mmXC. Anyone know any recommended loads for it? Seems to me that this one would be an exceptional Pronghorn caliber.

Thank you for the info Keith sounds like you have it dialed in very well. I haven't worked much with the 140 gr.
Though I was going to like the Berger VLD 168s and have a few loads that shoot very nice as long as I don't push them over about 2,950 fps. Above that and groups start to open up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.