7mm STW, 140 AB, H1000 load data needed

gamehawker

To all of you experienced 7mm STW reloaders I'm getting ready to reload for the first time for my Sendero 7mm STW I just purchased. I want to use 140 Accubonds and H1000.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this mix?

I also want to try 150 Scirocco and 162 Amax that I have.

In addition to the H1000 powder on hand I've got:

- H4350
- IMR 7828
- IMR 4831
- RL 25

Any other 7mm STW load recipe suggestions with what I have on hand or other powders or bullets that I should purchase and their load data?

Thanks!

I have to a model 70stainless 24'' that was rechambered to 7 STW when I purchased it brand new in 1994. The work was done by Tim Janzen who now is employed by Barnes bullets. It will shoot 140 Nosler ballistic tips into 3/4'' groups. 86 grains H1000 and Federal 215 primers. I also am really impressed with the 120 grain Barnes TTSX and 82 grains of IMR 4831 with the 215 Federal primer. I developed this load for my son 4 years ago when he started to hunt big game and coyotes and beavers. This gun has over 1500 rounds in the last 18 years and is starting to show some erosion in the throat area but accuracy is still holding. I like to clean around 35 shot intervals. Hope this helps.

Gamehawker, I would think that you will do better with the 7828' and the RL25. even when using the 140's, the other two a little edgy. The BEST of the two, would be the7828. Another great powder, which is my "go to" powder is RL 22. Also, the 7828 is awesome with 150 grain bullets. One of my loads is 78.7- 7828' and 150 BT, AB, or CT. One of the three powders just mentioned should make that thing sing. Federal 215's usually work best with these powders. Welcome to the brotherhood of the 7 mm STW!

AIM SMALL! MISS SMALL.:D gun). 7 STW.

Thanks for the info.

What COL do you use for this caliber? Do you use the standard length that Nosler recommends for this cartridge, which is 3.600" or a little longer or a little shorter?

I have had the best results with the 162 amax and rl 25. I am running 79.0 grains of rl 25 with the 162 pushing 3300 fps. Accuracy is awsome and on game performance has been impressive as well.

Thanks for the info.

What COL do you use for this caliber? Do you use the standard length that Nosler recommends for this cartridge, which is 3.600" or a little longer or a little shorter?

In the Remington, about the max you can do is about 3.665 OAL. In my Sako, I can go to 3.702, and still fit in the box. I shot mine today with 140 Barnes TSX, and 80.3 grains of RL 22 and a 215 primer. Got a .4 ish group at 200 yards.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb gun) 7 STW.

In the Remington, about the max you can do is about 3.665 OAL. In my Sako, I can go to 3.702, and still fit in the box. I shot mine today with 140 Barnes TSX, and 80.3 grains of RL 22 and a 215 primer. Got a .4 ish group at 200 yards.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb gun) 7 STW.

Nice grouping. Is the RL 22 powder affected by outside temperature changes?

I hear RL 25 is temperamental to outside temperature changes as opposed to the Hodgdon Poeders, i.e., H1000.

Just signed up! Nice site....
I have been using H1000 since the early 90s with a 160 grn Sierra SBT. I find this to be a real nice all around load in my 7mm STW for everything from rodents to mule deer. I haven't been able to take an elk with it yet, but I think it will do fine. Killed many black bears with it too! I think consistency is the ticket! I just worked up one good load and stuck with it. I don't push max charges, only 74 grn. Don't know if it really helps or not but I think it helps the barrel life of my Remington 700 Stainless factory rifle.
Good shooting!

Just signed up! Nice site....
I have been using H1000 since the early 90s with a 160 grn Sierra SBT. I find this to be a real nice all around load in my 7mm STW for everything from rodents to mule deer. I haven't been able to take an elk with it yet, but I think it will do fine. Killed many black bears with it too! I think consistency is the ticket! I just worked up one good load and stuck with it. I don't push max charges, only 74 grn. Don't know if it really helps or not but I think it helps the barrel life of my Remington 700 Stainless factory rifle.
Good shooting!

You are correct. " speed is cool, but accuracy is absolute".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts