7mm Sherman Short pet loads

wilkup

I need to order my dies from Rich but was hoping anyone that's loading for this little firecracker would share their favorite loads.
I'm planning to run the Berger 180 and a lighter Barnes, either the LRX or a light TTSX to push it a warp speed.
What's everyone else using?
How do the 140 and 168 Bergers do?

I've got a 23" barrel on my rifle, just in case that is pertinent information.

Hi Wil. Glad you are getting close. My favorite load so far is 60 grains of RL26 behind a 180 VLD @2960". I got 3070' with 62 grains which grouped pretty well too, but i felt it was a little to hard on brass. I shot a few 195 eol's the other day with surprising results. I need to do some more testing there, but 60 grains of RL26 with a coal of 2.930 shot quite well at 2955'. I was able to reach 3200' with the 168 VLD, but did not work much with that bullet. I have a 26" barrel so I would expect your velocities to be about 60' less.......Rich
"The derkster" has been shooting his quite a bit so you might want to pic his brain as well.

Hey Rich, what sorta speed could I drive a Berger 140 at? For where I am in north Texas, I'd say there's no need for anything bigger on any kind of game I'll encounter.

Hey Rich, what sorta speed could I drive a Berger 140 at? For where I am in north Texas, I'd say there's no need for anything bigger on any kind of game I'll encounter.

Never tried it but I would think well over 3300' even with that barrel......Rich

Talked to a guy with a 7mm RM who's flinging the 120gr Barnes TTSX at a screaming 3500'! Said it has dropped everything he points it at =) He's got a 26" barrel, but I'm betting I could probably hit 3400+ with my barrel.
Just picked up some bullets at a gunshop =)
Gonna have to shoot Rich a check for some brass and dies in the next couple of weeks.

Talked to a guy with a 7mm RM who's flinging the 120gr Barnes TTSX at a screaming 3500'! Said it has dropped everything he points it at =) He's got a 26" barrel, but I'm betting I could probably hit 3400+ with my barrel.
Just picked up some bullets at a gunshop =)
Gonna have to shoot Rich a check for some brass and dies in the next couple of weeks.

I am pretty sure you can hit 3400' with your barrel.....Rich

Hi Wil. Glad you are getting close. My favorite load so far is 60 grains of RL26 behind a 180 VLD @2960". I got 3070' with 62 grains which grouped pretty well too, but i felt it was a little to hard on brass. I shot a few 195 eol's the other day with surprising results. I need to do some more testing there, but 60 grains of RL26 with a coal of 2.930 shot quite well at 2955'. I was able to reach 3200' with the 168 VLD, but did not work much with that bullet. I have a 26" barrel so I would expect your velocities to be about 60' less.......Rich
"The derkster" has been shooting his quite a bit so you might want to pic his brain as well.
Hello Rich, I am new to this site so please excuse my ignorance. I am very interested in the 7 SS and would like info on purchasing dies and a reamer? I have made the mods and installed a Wyatt's extended box for a comfortable 2.95 COL. Can you guide me please?

Hello Rich, I am new to this site so please excuse my ignorance. I am very interested in the 7 SS and would like info on purchasing dies and a reamer? I have made the mods and installed a Wyatt's extended box for a comfortable 2.95 COL. Can you guide me please?
See PM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.