7mm sherman max

Hmmm I'm not a huge RL26 fan besides the speed advantage. Been shooting .030 off so maybe that's the biggest issue. Really tempted to just go straight to the 162 ELD M and RL23? I have access to most powders... Wish I could get 3100 out of the 22in barrel with em but 3050 would make me happy if it's not do able or even 3k+. It'll get hunted with a lot and I love using 195 and 215/230 bergers so thinking the ELD M will be close enough. I really appreciate the info...
Another option to look at is the 170 PVA Cayuga, it has a .770 G1/.375 G7, right in the neighborhood of the 195 EOL, and from my experience they don't pressure up early. In a 25" .270 Sherman, I was able to hit 3500 with a 126 Cayuga before pressure signs on Norma brass.

If you don't like rl26, an alternative may be N565. from what I have seen others report, it is similar to rl26 on speeds, but is not temp sensitive, if that's the issue. I have an 8lber I'm gonna try in my wife's 7.5 twist 20" 7 max. I plan on trying the 170 Cayuga as well as the 150 Bulldozer.

I was debating trying N565. I think I'll just go ELD M since I'm use to bergers and bullets that come apart. The Cayuga might work well if the bc is accurate but starting to debate in my head if Mono's are my top choice. The badlands were just too good to pass up if I could get them to the speed I wanted.

I was debating trying N565. I think I'll just go ELD M since I'm use to bergers and bullets that come apart. The Cayuga might work well if the bc is accurate but starting to debate in my head if Mono's are my top choice. The badlands were just too good to pass up if I could get them to the speed I wanted.
I am very confident on the bc of the 7mm Cayuga bullets at least, he went to the Hornady ballistic station and conducted some of his testing on them there. You will likely have some minor variations that you would have with any bullet from rifle to rifle, but it will be very minor, and possibly not even noticeable at average hunting ranges. As far as how the bullets perform, we have only taken one elk with them, however next season we're hoping to put down a lot more animals with the Cayuga's and have a better idea of how they react terminally.

Good to know. Thanks for the informative posts. I'll run the ELD M this year I think until more time goes by for other bullets to prove themselves.

Cory

Anyone done any testing on the 172gr absolute hammers and the 7max yet?

I'm considering having a max built, but want to shoot the heavier hammers in a long action 700.

Anyone have any feeding issues with these rounds in a long action?

anyone with any info on a shorter barrel 7mm Max. Looking at doing a AnTi XM action manners EH4. Wanting to keep it shorter for running suppressed. Im thinking 20-22" barrel length.

There's at least 5 folks that have posted in this thread that have 20"-22" barrels, and more coming. I've got a build underway that will have a 22" barrel and will be suppressed. Planning to run the 172 absolute hammer monolithic bullet, and hope to get it over 3,000 FPS.

anyone with any info on a shorter barrel 7mm Max. Looking at doing a AnTi XM action manners EH4. Wanting to keep it shorter for running suppressed. Im thinking 20-22" barrel length.
I have a 22.5" proof on a tikka shooting 177 hammer hunters at 2920 fps and my can just showed up! I haven't been able to track down any n570 or rl26 but the n565 is giving me a SD of 6 so gonna keep tweaking that load a bit once I give it a try with the can on. It's definitely longer with that can. An 18 or a 20 inch barrel could be interesting for a future .30 cal to make things more compact.

Last edited: