7mm sherman max

I currently have a good supply of RL-26, but i could find faster burning powder too. The +P if there is enough extra capacity will get an extra 100-175 fps I think, purely speculation, but it has been running through my head to try.
I get the mad scientist bug from my dad, he liked to play with genetics in his dairy herd.
My cousins dad says they're 2 types of shooters, speed freaks and pumpkin chunkers. I say why not both, and maybe find something cool too.
The new Absolute Hammer rounds seem to do a similar thing in a different way.
I will be definitely keeping you guys informed.

I checked out their website, looks like I can get a prefit barrel for my Lone Peak Fuzion Ti, which is awesome because I probably won't have a work bench in the camper.
I'm wondering on capacity of the case with a 175-195 in a med length action. I'm thinking about sending it to Defensive Edge for the +P throat to increase speed by dropping pressure then cramming more powder in,or increasing burn rate.
Or maybe trying the Absolute Hammer rounds for REDUCED friction.
Make sure your serial# falls in line with LP actions that are timed and held to tolerances.

I was going to ask if there was something like that, it a new action this summer, so I hope it would be.
Thanks for the advice though.

Dang. I have a Defiance XM action and 22" bartlein 7mm 8.5 twist CFW barrel at GA Precision getting ready to become a 7 SAUM to run the 175 EH and/or 180 hybrid or Scenar. Now I'm thinking that action might be mo betta for a 7 Max build.

@elkaholic do you know if GAP has a 7 Max reamer???

Settled on my load for the season. 145 Badlands Super bulldozer @ 3250 fps in a 22" tube suppressed with 69 gr of RL26 with a .080" jump. Should stay above 2k fps out to around 940 yards.

We'll see how the bullet performs on a cow elk.
Once I get my wife's rifle done it should be very close to that, 20" barrel though.

I'm waiting for mine yet. Planned on a 24" barrel but thinking I should of went 22".
I really think that 22" is the sweet spot for a hunting rifle, especially with a supressor. I should note that these badlands bullets seem to be much more pressure sensitive. I had to give up some speed by using them. Im @ 3250 fps sitting 80 thou off that lands. Hammer bullets could be seated closer and I did not see the pressure sensitivity, but their BC was much lower. So I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that 3300 fps is doable with a 22" tube with the right bullet/load.

I'm at 69 gr even of RL26 and thats up there in pressure. I had a single digit node starting at 69 up to 69.3. At 69.5 I started seeing some pressure, significant pressure after a 3 shot string. I wont even shoot this load above 60 or 65 degrees air temp with RL 26. So I do think you might have to run these shermans hard if you want the speed in a shorter barrel. But that's the reason I went 7 max over a 7 saum. I wanted speed out of a short barrel and while I hear of 7 SAUMS getting similar performance to me, it seemed like it wasn't the norm and most guys were getting in that 3100 fps range. Since good brass and good dies really werent that much cheaper for a saum i figured I had better odds of getting the performance I wanted out of sherman max for minimal more $$ invested. I feel as if my bet paid off. I'd have to build a 7 saum to be positive though... which will happen sooner or later.

My next build is a 6 SST and I went 21" for the tube and I expect to shoot 100 grainers around 3400 fps with a moderate pressure load.

Last edited:
I really think that 22" is the sweet spot for a hunting rifle, especially with a supressor. I should note that these badlands bullets seem to be much more pressure sensitive. I had to give up some speed by using them. Im @ 3250 fps sitting 80 thou off that lands. Hammer bullets could be seated closer and I did not see the pressure sensitivity, but their BC was much lower. So I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that 3300 fps is doable with a 22" tube with the right bullet/load.

I'm at 69 gr even of RL26 and thats up there in pressure. I had a single digit node starting at 69 up to 69.3. At 69.5 I started seeing some pressure, significant pressure after a 3 shot string. I wont even shoot this load above 60 or 65 degrees air temp with RL 26. So I do think you might have to run these shermans hard if you want the speed in a shorter barrel. But that's the reason I went 7 max over a 7 saum. I wanted speed out of a short barrel and while I hear of 7 SAUMS getting similar performance to me, it seemed like it wasn't the norm and most guys were getting in that 3100 fps range. Since good brass and good dies really werent that much cheaper for a saum i figured I had better odds of getting the performance I wanted out of sherman max for minimal more $$ invested. I feel as if my bet paid off. I'd have to build a 7 saum to be positive though... which will happen sooner or later.

My next build is a 6 SST and I went 21" for the tube and I expect to shoot 100 grainers around 3400 fps with a moderate pressure load.

Im building a 7 MAX that should be done any day with a 22in barrel with just a muzzle brake and planning on running the 145's as well. I bought N550 to try. I think that powder could be the ticket but we'll see. If not I have other powders. Good to know what it does with 26.

I
... bought N550 to try. I think that powder could be the ticket but we'll see. If not I have other powders. Good to know what it does with 26.
I tried n560...one step slower than 550 and 555 and it was basically grain for grain with rl23. I got 3160 out of 23 before stiff bolt.

I think n565 might be the one to try with this bullet weight. N570 is too slow and h1000 doesn't seem to have enough oomph.

Good to know. I have 26 and access to 565. I really thought 550 would be the ticket since h100v is the ticket if you aren't concerned about temp sensitivity and the 550 burn rate is right near that but less sensitive. I bought 8 lbs of it. Lol. Bought a Lb of rl23 just in case but guess I can rule that out now likely. I figured with the shorter barrel, light bullets and short powder column, there would be better performers than 26/565. Something a little faster but not H4350 fast... hmmm. I don't want to run these bullets unless I'm getting 3250+. Would rather go heavier if that's the case like 162-180 and be in that 3050-3150 range depending on bullet. Sorry a lot of rambling but just talking out loud... What primers are you using/have tried? What were the results?I have cci 200's, 250's and fed 250's.

Good to know. I have 26 and access to 565. I really thought 550 would be the ticket since h100v is the ticket if you aren't concerned about temp sensitivity and the 550 burn rate is right near that but less sensitive. I bought 8 lbs of it. Lol. Bought a Lb of rl23 just in case but guess I can rule that out now likely. I figured with the shorter barrel, light bullets and short powder column, there would be better performers than 26/565. Something a little faster but not H4350 fast... hmmm. I don't want to run these bullets unless I'm getting 3250+. Would rather go heavier if that's the case like 162-180 and be in that 3050-3150 range depending on bullet. Sorry a lot of rambling but just talking out loud... What primers are you using/have tried? What were the results?I have cci 200's, 250's and fed 250's.

I'm not a expert so someone else might offer a more detailed take but my understanding is that h100v and hornady superformance are progressive burnrates or something like that? So they're not apples to apples on the burn rate chart. But they're both extremely temp sensitive.

I've tried cci br2s 250s and fed 215ms and haven't really noticed much difference...maybe single digits changes in speed from br2s to the magnum varieties but the nodes were in the same spot.